Boyd's Gun Stocks

D

Dennis1209

Seems I'm getting into .22LR bench-rest monthly matches pretty seriously. Been shooting a Savage Mark II and doing pretty fair for my skill level. For a cheap twenty-two, the rifle is an accurate shooter, however. The stock / comb drop is very excessive and I have "three" strips of pipe insulation on the comb so I can maintain a cheek weld.

Just purchased a wooden Monte Carlo type stock from Boyd's Gun Stocks in anticipation of a shade more accuracy. Never ordered a replacement stock so I hope I ordered the correct one? Anyone have any experience with Boyd's products and/or service? Evidently they make the stocks as ordered.

I've got a great little Savage MKII FV bedded to a Boyd's stock. Look here for how I did it: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571847

There are many other posts about bedding these stocks and you should read as many as you can find.

You will find that the stock is well made, especially considering the price. However, there isn't a great deal of meat left so it's wise to bed the action and I particularly like my simply keel beam mod. It's cheap and easy to fabricate using ordinary hand tools.

Wow! Thanks for the info. If I tried something like that modification, I'd have to order a new stock because I'd mess it up so bad! I'm hoping that it will drop in right out of the box without too much modification.

My eyesight is also getting bad at my age and I also switched to a Mueller 4 x 32 scope. For the money it's fantastic, now I can see where the holes are and make adjustments if necessary. The only problem I experience is with parallax, there is a shadow ring around the scope, and if that "shadow ring" is not perfectly centered, the shot is off. I have it set for about twenty magnification, would you have any suggestions to eliminate that shadow parallax ring?

Thanks for all the help.

mozella.....................great write up and pics..... thank you.......... on my MK11 I use for barnyard benchrest..... I used RTV to bed action/barrel...... it helped.........

Wow! Thanks for the info. If I tried something like that modification, I'd have to order a new stock because I'd mess it up so bad! I'm hoping that it will drop in right out of the box without too much modification.

My eyesight is also getting bad at my age and I also switched to a Mueller 4 x 32 scope. For the money it's fantastic, now I can see where the holes are and make adjustments if necessary. The only problem I experience is with parallax, there is a shadow ring around the scope, and if that "shadow ring" is not perfectly centered, the shot is off. I have it set for about twenty magnification, would you have any suggestions to eliminate that shadow parallax ring?

Thanks for all the help.
Yes, your action will drop right in; however, the result won't be nearly as rigid when compared with a simple bedding job. It really is easy to do.

As for your Mueller scope, I'm not familiar with their 4 x 32 scope. I have a Mueller 8 x 32 which has a parallax adjustment. Your scope should have a parallax adjustment too.

In theory you should be able to set the adjustment to match the range of your target at which point moving your head around slightly won't change the apparent relationship between the cross hairs and the bulls eye. You may have to tweak the knob slightly to achieve this so don't worry if when shooting at 100 yards, your parallax knob is set to 90 yards, for example.

Of course, not everything is perfect and even with the parallax set correctly, moving the relationship between your eye and the scope might change the point of impact a little bit. Good parallax adjustment should eliminate that problem, but perhaps not completely.

That "shadow ring" you see is a byproduct of an inexpensive scope and high magnification. You should be able to move your eye forward a bit to minimize it; however, I usually shoot free recoil with a significant part of the target blacked out around the edges because I shoot with my eye further back than normal. This black ring, if you center it up properly, can serve as an indicator that your eye is centered properly behind the scope. In other words, it can be a good thing because even if you think you have your parallax set perfectly, it's good practice to center your eye behind the scope for every shot.

Good luck and have fun.

Back