Bolt Lube for Rimfires

mrh1958

What lube do you use on your rimfire bolt lugs? Do you lube the outside of the bolt body also? thanks in advance

Pro Shot

I use Pro Shot grease that I get from KSS. I lube the lugs before the first match & just check that there's a film on the the rest of the day. I was warned not to go overboard with the stuff as you don't want any debris getting down in your firing pin. Seem's to be working fine.
After each match I'll clean the lugs & recess & re lube again before the next. Also I flush out the firing pin with lighter fluid.
Hope that helps.
Keith

Is STOS like Frog Lube? That paste is incredibly slippery. I used to put a dab of my homebrew grease I make that is part MoS2, WS2 and HBN powders in a mineral oil base, wherever load bearing slide spots such as bolt lugs are, but for all its lubricity, Frog Lube paste seems even more slippery. That having been said, I'm always on the lookout for that one miracle lube.

Hoot

Is STOS like Frog Lube? That paste is incredibly slippery. I used to put a dab of my homebrew grease I make that is part MoS2, WS2 and HBN powders in a mineral oil base, wherever load bearing slide spots such as bolt lugs are, but for all its lubricity, Frog Lube paste seems even more slippery. That having been said, I'm always on the lookout for that one miracle lube.

Hoot

Not for nothing but molybdenum disulfide based lubes are decidedly not good for pressure applications such as bolt lugs. This has been definitively proven by the centerfire guys. Far less pressure in rimfires but a tube of proper bolt lube is cheap and lasts a long time. Most use the red soap based bolt lube found at Sinclairs, Bruno's, etc.

Not for nothing but molybdenum disulfide based lubes are decidedly not good for pressure applications such as bolt lugs. This has been definitively proven by the centerfire guys. Far less pressure in rimfires but a tube of proper bolt lube is cheap and lasts a long time. Most use the red soap based bolt lube found at Sinclairs, Bruno's, etc.

Thanks Tim. I suspect Frog Lube, being plant based, is akin to a waxy soap-like lubricant. Sure feels like it. Curiosity has led me to try a lot of different lubes over the years and I might just have to get some STOS, to satisfy that curiosity once again. Life is after all, for learning.

Hoot

Back