Boerne IR 50/50 Match Results 2/1/17

MrsShootinthing

The 1st sanction shoot of the year and the conditions were nice and calm, not to cold until the last card.
I love living in Texas!

It turned out to be Texas Shoot Out, Semi Auto against Bolt Gun, or the Les Williams and Jerry Hensler show.

Les Williams took the match with his Semi Auto, ( the step child as he calls it)

Congratulations Les Williams for a well earned win!

There were five 250's shot tonight.

Les Williams 2nd card 250 19 x's 3rd card 250 19 x's
James Braddy 3 card 250 16 x's
Jerry Hensler 3rd card 10 x's
Lisa Chacon 1st card 250 13 x's

Looking forward to seeing everyone at our next ARA match on 02 11 2017

Lisa

Guess you've answered the question of how these new semi-autos will match up against bolt guns.

Congratulations on the results all the way around.

Dave

Hello Lisa,

Congratulations to Les Williams on his aggregate win ... against RFBR bolt rifles, no less!

Would you mind sharing the specs for Les Williams "semi auto ABRA rifle" that your husband Joe Chacon built. Including the action, trigger, barrel, tuner and ammo used in the match. Any bullet engraving? Thanks, John Austen

PS: I've been experimenting with the "Douglas" barrel that I purchased from you, a while back. I installed it on my 10X X3L bolt action RFBR rifle ... this barrel is shooting very well, when I feed it the right ammo. I will re-fit the Douglas to my semi auto ABRA rifle shortly. The primary barrel for my X3L rifle is a MullerWorks 4 MI, which I will re-install.

Last edited:
BR Semi Autos

Hello Lisa,

Congratulations to Les Williams on his aggregate win ... against RFBR bolt rifles, no less!

Would you mind sharing the specs for Les Williams "semi auto ABRA rifle" that your husband Joe Chacon built. Including the action, trigger, barrel, tuner and ammo used in the match. Any bullet engraving? Thanks, John Austen

PS: I've been experimenting with the "Douglas" barrel that I purchased from you, a while back. I installed it on my 10X X3L bolt action RFBR rifle ... this barrel is shooting very well, when I feed it the right ammo. I will re-fit the Douglas to my semi auto ABRA rifle shortly. The primary barrel for my X3L rifle is a MullerWorks 4 MI, which I will re-install.

J N L's PRX II Tuner set to the 9th harmonic
Douglas Barrel with a harmonic wedge cut in it.
Kidd Receiver
Bolt Work done by Joe
Kidd Trigger
Pippen Style stock
Weighted and balanced
Midas Ammo

Yes it does have engraving.

Lisa

J N L's PRX II Tuner set to the 9th harmonic
Douglas Barrel with a harmonic wedge cut in it.
Kidd Receiver
Bolt Work done by Joe
Kidd Trigger
Pippen Style stock
Weighted and balanced
Midas Ammo

Yes it does have engraving.

Lisa

Thank you, Joe & Lisa for providing the detailed info.

I've honestly never heard mention of a "harmonic wedge" cut in a barrel. But whatever it is, it appears to be working and you are doing things right! John

I've been real happy with the rifle. This match was it's 4th time out and each time it's performed very well.
Out of the 6 sanction IR 50/50 targets I've shot with it I've had 4-250's and 2-249's. 4 of these targets were 19X's and I really thought I was going to break the 20X count this last time out. But 2- 749 matches with 51X's isn't bad for a 10/22. Last Nov. at the ABRA Texas State Tournament I agg. 197 over 6 targets and that's the highest 6 target agg shot so far. We had a fun shoot over the winter and shot a ABRA 200 target. For those not familiar with the ABRA target that's a perfect score. Ironically I don't even think we've tapped the full potential yet, for not making any excuses but the scope on this thing, Weaver 36, is probably the worse optics of one I've looked through. I've got one sitting in the box that's better I'm going to change it out with.
Anyway, I'll be shooting it at all of our IR50/50 matches this year and of course the ABRA ones so we'll see how it goes and keep everyone posted.

Les

I've been real happy with the rifle. This match was it's 4th time out and each time it's performed very well.
Out of the 6 sanction IR 50/50 targets I've shot with it I've had 4-250's and 2-249's. 4 of these targets were 19X's and I really thought I was going to break the 20X count this last time out. But 2- 749 matches with 51X's isn't bad for a 10/22. Last Nov. at the ABRA Texas State Tournament I agg. 197 over 6 targets and that's the highest 6 target agg shot so far. We had a fun shoot over the winter and shot a ABRA 200 target. For those not familiar with the ABRA target that's a perfect score. Ironically I don't even think we've tapped the full potential yet, for not making any excuses but the scope on this thing, Weaver 36, is probably the worse optics of one I've looked through. I've got one sitting in the box that's better I'm going to change it out with.
Anyway, I'll be shooting it at all of our IR50/50 matches this year and of course the ABRA ones so we'll see how it goes and keep everyone posted.

Les

Hi Les - I am guessing that I am not the only that would love to seem some pictures. It seems like this might be a very (relatively speaking) inexpensive potential winner package.

John

Hi Les - I am guessing that I am not the only that would love to seem some pictures. It seems like this might be a very (relatively speaking) inexpensive potential winner package.

John

It's not just possessing an excellent rifle and ammo, that wins matches. It takes a highly skilled shooter, and Les Williams is a very talented competitor! John

Thanks for the kind words John, like all the others in our 22 madness fraternity we do it for the love of the sport and the friendship, no different than anyone else when I go to the bench I want to win. But with that said it's still a hobby for relaxation and kicking back and whether I had a good day or bad day it's still all good.
John (Smallborebuyer), I'll have to get a picture taken and posted. James Braddy, who's one of the gang at Boerne, took some pictures last year of the Step Child, just a temporary name, Joe's been hounding me to get her named and I will with something more inline with her beauty, back to James, did post some pictures and if I can find them or maybe he'll see this and can direct to the location and/or post them here. What stands out is the stock for it's made out of mesquite from the Purple Sage ranch. What's unique it had a void in it, guess that's what you'd call it, and was filled in with turquoise. Really nice!
Really looking forward to the kickoff of our ABRA season. Joe, Lisa and Luke are putting up a Silver Belt Buckle this year for high Agg for the season. Got my eyes ?on that prize! Got a new club in Louisiana coming onboard, the boys came over for our Texas State Tournament last year and caught the bug and when home and got it started. Now the Boerne ABRA gang can make a couple of Tournament road trips to the land of Cajuns.
Anyway, having a blast, y'all shoot straight and see you at the range!

Les

Last edited:
I'll have to get a picture taken and posted. James Braddy, who's one of the gang at Boerne, took some pictures last year of the Step Child, just a temporary name, Joe's been hounding me to get her named and I will with something more inline with her beauty, back to James, did post some pictures and if I can find them or maybe he'll see this and can direct to the location and/or post them here. What stands out is the stock for it's made out of mesquite from the Purple Sage ranch. What's unique it had a void in it, guess that's what you'd call it, and was filled in with turquoise. Really nice!

Les
I found a few pictures of the rifle (in an earlier iteration with a Green Mountain barrel) that Joe posted in 2015.

The turquoise inlay is very nice.

John

Back