Blue Print and True Savage Action ??

M

miele

Hey Guys-
I am having my model 10/12 in 308 26 " barrel worked on with new barrel,SSS trigger
bedding,recoil lug:D The rifle already wears the model 12 laminated stock.
The gunsmith doing the work asks if I want to blue print the action if needed
150 bucks extra!!
Do you guys think its worth it ?? (putting exta 150 into a realatively cheap rifle:confused:)
Thanks
John

What is he going to do for $150? There are lots of tricks that can be done to the bolt to help things out but it won't really improve accuracy much if any. Just ask him what he is planning to do and go from there. If its just retouching the threads, lugs and face I wouldn't bother. The face can be off a touch but not enough to worry about. The threads and lugs will be fine from factory. Depends on what is included and how good he is. My 2c

Cheers,
Rob

Savage has a floating bolt head doesn't need faced.

The locking nut on the barrel sets headspace.

Truing action lugs not really needed.

Facing the front of the action might be useful if runout is indicated.

I would have him set the headspace tight and spend the $ on a lighter than stock trigger or a better scope.

Truing the Savage Action

I think $150 is too much. I payed $50 to have the threads in my action squared to the face, square the face, and square the barrel barrel to the threads. I would suggest replacing the recoil lug with a premium aftermarket lug. Any of the ones that fit a M700 will fit a std shank Savage I think. Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) makes a nice recoil lug with the alignment pin. As Viper pointed out there isn't that much to do on the Savage with the floating bolt head. My smith told me he only had to make minor adjustments and it was pretty square from the factory. He spent most of his time just setting up to check square.

Something that is a different problem is the timing. Basically how the ramp is cut to lock the bolt. I have felt one of the actions worked on by SSS. It felt as sweet as the few customs I have held. Fred (SSS) only charges $105 to true and time the Savage actions. However the wait list is approaching a year from what I have heard. But you name of the list and shoot it until they call, then send in your action. SSS also makes a trigger that is adjustable in the 1-2.5 lbs range. It is not a benchrest trigger, but I like them much more than the AccuTrigger. I have two.

Luck on your build, tiny

Yes.............. Above posts!!!

Viper and Tiny..................... Dead on! Could not have said it better.

Especially the 1-2 hours to ACCURATELY set-up and check the runout of the threads to axis of action and in relation to the closed bolt face in the firing position. .... Then to find no more than a .001 - .004 at worst.....

Not worth the trouble... They shoot just fine.. Yes, take to hart what both Tiny and Viper said in their posts.

cale

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys !!

Yes I followed your advice :D:D:D
Will save the $$$$$ for more bullets and brass,I think the gunsmith was
trying to infer that this service may or may not be needed ;)
Keep up the excellent info !!
John

Best Group

Just got a new Pac Nor ready to install SS SM barrel in 223. Been to the range a few times and it has shot very well from the get go.

Did this yesterday at 200yds in light gusty conditions. This is my best group ever and it now hangs on my shop wall. 80gr Berger VLD, Varget, Win Brass, CCI 450. 3 shots.

0.076" or 0.038min.

Other test groups have been in the 1's and 2's so this set up has potential.

Box stock stevens. Just spun the barrel on, headspaced and went shooting. It is bedded into a Choate Varminter stock. Elite 4200 6x24 scope set at 24X. Rifle basix 2 trigger set light.

I think the action works just fine the way it is.

Enjoy...

Jerry

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc118/mysticplayer/223pacnor.jpg

Greg Tannel will "blueprint" a Savage action. "Blueprint" in that he only does what is needed to bring it up to benchrest standards, or as much as it can be.

Whether or not this kind of work is necessary, or perhaps *desireable*, depends on your intended use. Some Savage actions are used in 1,000 yard competition, and that can be a tough test. I don't thing I've ever heard of one used in sanctioned NBRSA short-range group shooting. There probably have been a few used in IBS sanctioned score matches, but the biggest use is in the Factory or modified classes that some clubs offer, but are not sanctioned. In fact, I use one in Factory class at the Rockingham matches, and it isn't *blueprinted.* If I ever built a competition rifle on the action though, it would be trued along the lines Tannel recommends.

BTW, a floating bolthead and/or a jam nut on the barrel do not resolve all the potential issues with an action.

Back