Big Tex

joechacon

well ,think I got Big Tex where it needs to be ,I shoot it last night in a 50/50 match with good results

wind was a little tricky but me and Big Tex are starting to get acquainted as you all know I mainly shoot Hammer time ,But I told every body I would not shoot HT in ABRA in 2016 season .
So I thought I better start shooting Big Tex and learn what this gun likes I picked out some ammo during our test and liked what we found just wish I could have gotten more . it should be here Wednesday

last night I shot a pretty good lot and this is what the combo gave me.
take a look .

Oh by the way did I tell you Big Tex shot against THE GREY GHOST this is a Gorham built turbo that won the National agg line last year
The GHOST shot a 249 agg with 47 Xs
Big Tex shot a 248 agg with 45 Xs
so I ended up in second better luck next time ,but not bad for a semi.

Joe

Big Tex

Last edited:
Joe

Specify the components if you can please. i.e. what barrel did you use is really what I am after.
MC

Last edited:
Specify the components if you can please. i.e. what barrel did you use is really what I am after.
MC

I purchased a CST Titan-22, from Mike Irwin and Power Custom, let me tell you why I bought this receiver and trigger. I put one together for Tony Purdy, and all I can say is that there is not enough o's in smooth to describe this action. The bolt is 1st rate, all the work has been done to it including the head space which is .042. It came with a Grand Master Trigger, and I was able to adjust it down to a 1.05 lbs. I like where the mag release is located and I also like where the put the safety. There is no creep at all.

Barrel is a Shilen 850 4 groove ratchet. This came out of Mr. Shilen's personal stash. A gift from Heaven... I handed this receiver and barrel to Richard Gorham when I shoot at Kettle Foot. We talked about a chamber for a couple of months and what we should cut the barrel length at. The barrel length ended up at 24" on the nose. The chamber is of Richard's that he modified.
Let me explain it. At the bullet end it is .225 and at the rim end .226, with a 2 degree lead and a 30 thousands jam. This chamber is very similar to what Hammer Time has in it.

Tuner is the new J N L's PRX II adjustable tuner.

Stock is an HD straight line made of Texas Mesquite that I cut personally. The grain on this wood is unbelievable. I added weight to the back of it. The weight is just below center line of the receiver and barrel. A smaller additional weight to make sure we kept the toe of the stock down in the delron. It works really well in Hammer Time that is why we applied it here.

I almost forgot on the receiver we did a little something different. Since the barrel is smaller than a 920, Richard machined the barrel exactly to the receiver. To make sure that we did not pull down on the barrel he drilled and tapped an 8/32 hole on the bottom. So the V Block is pushing the barrel straight back. I did not glue this barrel in yet, until we figure out how it is going to shoot. So far so good, we have $1690. in this gun.

Joe

I purchased a CST Titan-22, from Mike Irwin and Power Custom, let me tell you why I bought this receiver and trigger. I put one together for Tony Purdy, and all I can say is that there is not enough o's in smooth to describe this action. The bolt is 1st rate, all the work has been done to it including the head space which is .042. It came with a Grand Master Trigger, and I was able to adjust it down to a 1.05 lbs. I like where the mag release is located and I also like where the put the safety. There is no creep at all.

Barrel is a Shilen 850 4 groove ratchet. This came out of Mr. Shilen's personal stash. A gift from Heaven... I handed this receiver and barrel to Richard Gorham when I shoot at Kettle Foot. We talked about a chamber for a couple of months and what we should cut the barrel length at. The barrel length ended up at 24" on the nose. The chamber is of Richard's that he modified.
Let me explain it. At the bullet end it is .225 and at the rim end .226, with a 2 degree lead and a 30 thousands jam. This chamber is very similar to what Hammer Time has in it.

Tuner is the new J N L's PRX II adjustable tuner.

Stock is an HD straight line made of Texas Mesquite that I cut personally. The grain on this wood is unbelievable. I added weight to the back of it. The weight is just below center line of the receiver and barrel. A smaller additional weight to make sure we kept the toe of the stock down in the delron. It works really well in Hammer Time that is why we applied it here.

I almost forgot on the receiver we did a little something different. Since the barrel is smaller than a 920, Richard machined the barrel exactly to the receiver. To make sure that we did not pull down on the barrel he drilled and tapped an 8/32 hole on the bottom. So the V Block is pushing the barrel straight back. I did not glue this barrel in yet, until we figure out how it is going to shoot. So far so good, we have $1690. in this gun.

Joe

I remember talking to you at the Triple Crown about you harvesting some wood yourself. It's just as beautiful as you said!

Back