Big idiot I am! Dammit

T

Travis C.

Reloading last night I dumped the remainging powder of H4350 from my measure into the Varget can! I have never been so careless. I was doing a little of this and a little of that and switched and screwed up. I'm now in a bind. I am reloading for my 270 winchester and shooting light coyote bullets. Do you guys like Varget enough IN YOUR OPINION to make me think that I should buy another pound. I already have H4350 and RL15. Also do you guys like magnum primers or standard primers. Buy the way I was lucky and wasn't out too much powder anyway.

Travis,

I'm an experimenter so I keep probably 15-18 different types of powder on hand at all times, always have 80-120lb of mixed stuff..............And I've just built a powder storage area 50yds AWAY from my loading area! It's worth the hassle IMO.

I could have built the magazine right around the corner where it was handy but after 25yrs of keeping the powder right handy I've QUIT! It's just too awful easy to get stupid.

You can't be TOO careful and it's hard sometimes to be careful enough!

Dump the powder around your wife's flowers this spring.....it's a great nitrogen based fertilizer.

Be glad it wasn't a keg ;)

al

Exactly

I only remove one type of powder at a time from my storage cabinet. I load in another room and replace that one before I start with another. Lately I've been watching myself a little closer since age and gunpowder don't mix well unless done slowly.

Travis C: At the prices of powder today, the replacement cost AND this public expose of your "human trait" (to err is human!) I am sure will both go a long way in keeping this from happening again.
I had a similar incident occur about 40 years ago!
Like WhelenMan, I keep my powder in a steel storage cabinet CLEAR ACROSS the loading room from my loading bench!
One can of powder, out of the storage cabinet at a time - has been my SOP for decades now.
Sorry about the monetary loss but at least you are safe AND your safety "sensors" have been perked up!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Set that One powder container right near the po measure when using it. Can glance at the can anytime and say to self "yep Varget"

Look at the can when you pick it off the shelf, prior to filling the measure, again when you put the lid on the can and prior to first case filling. Also while calibrating measure and TWICE before emptying po back into can when cartridge run is completed. ONLY one can on bench at a time.

Varget and 4350 are listed in the same tables for several cartridges. Pick a load which is well within the range of both and burn it up in some plinking or hunting ammo.

Papapaul's reply

I hope I am wrong but think his reply suggests using the contaminated powers. DON'T DO IT! They say powders are good fertilizer and I have had to use to cans that way. One I made the same mistake you did and the second I bought at an auction and althought it was labled Green Dot it had none in it so I could not be CERTAIN that is what it contained.

Safety first in this reloading hobby. Always!

Yeah, buy another can of varget, it is a good versatile powder.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right in one sense, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.", new cooks should follow the cookbook.

Varget and H4350 are similar enough in size and close enough in burn rate that if you thoroughly mixed a small amount of H4350 into a can of Varget you could quite readily use the mix as Varget and as said, load some plinking ammo with it.

That is if you are concerned about the cost and have a use for such ammo. If not dump it as has been said.

A 1/2 cup full of H4350 tipped into a 1/2 pound of Varget isn't going to make Bullseye !!

Back