Best Way to repair a cracked stock?

bored184

On my kimber 82 g I have this split up front, any suggestions how to fix it?
Angled
100_1694.jpg

100_1695.jpg

Side
100_1697.jpg

I would wedge in a toothpick and spread the crack as much as I could without making the crack grow and depending how wide it is work some glue into the crack.you may try a syringe to get it in deeper.Remove the toothpick and clamp together over night. Spot sand and apply tru-oil or finish of choice.

Chuck

Stock repair

Years ago my son had a skiing accident that resulted in one ski having delamination, although it was still in one piece, lengthwise. Not too different from the appearance of your fore end. I mixed up some of the original "Brownells Acraglas", ( red box), dripped it into the seperation areas, heavily C-clamped, and 24 hrs later it was good as new. He used those skiis for several years after that, sold to a friend who also used them. "Acraglas" is really a tough epoxy!

Brownells Acraglas

Use Brownells Acraglas liquid epoxy like f d shuster says. I have repaired hundreds of stock cracks like that over the past 21 years using Acraglas.

What works very good is to mix it up and spread a line of epoxy over the crack. Then squeeze and release the crack, or gently spread it and release it, whatever it takes to get the crack to open and close. This will "pump" the epoxy all the way through the crack until it comes out the other side. It takes awhile and you need to keep adding Acraglas on top of the crack as it works it's way in. But before long it will come out the other side, then just clamp it overnight and it will never crack there again!

Hope this helps!
Gordy

A less than 5 minutes job

By one or two tube(s) (2ml) of the cheapest Chinese made Super glue with a nozzle, the runnier the better (Cyoanoacrylate) and one or two sheets of 400-600 grit sandpaper.

Cut/tear the sandpaper into 35x35mm pieces.
Apply a very tiny amount of the Super glue with the tiny nozzle as deep as possible and immediately sand over the stock crack to create a fine sawdust to stick into the Super glue. Blow over it with your mouth and repeate several times until the crack is fully filled and finnish. Don't be scared to rub/sand with sandpaper. I doesn't take any skills. As it has the same wood filling you won't even recognised it was ever there. It will finnish the stock like you've never seen before. A professional quality job's done in a mater of few minutes.

Shoot well
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Compressed air

You might also try compressed air to blow the epoxy deeper into the crack.

Worked well for me---Ive tried it only one time though.

Good luck.

A. Weldy

Mixing a tad of acetone in it will loosen it up & make compressed air even more efficient - but watch out for the blowback.

Make it simple

By one or two tube (2ml) of the cheapest Chinese made Super glue with a nozzle, the runnier the better (Cyoanoacrylate) and one or two sheets of 400- 600 grit sandpaper.

Cut/tear the sandpaper into 35x35mm pieces.
Apply a very tiny amount of the Super glue with the tiny nozzle as deep as possible and immediately sand over the stock crack to create a fine sawdust to stick into the Super glue. Blow over it with your mouth and repeate several times until the crack is fully filled and finnish. Don't be scared to rub/sand with sandpaper. I doesn't take any skills. As it has the same wood filling you won't even recognised it was ever there. It will finnish the stock like you've never seen before. A professional quality job's done in a mater of few minutes.

Shoot well
Peter

Air or an Aceton is not needed. I used exactly the above mentioned technique on my very first rifle a .460 Weatherby Mk5 in 1982 when the stock splited after about 60 rounds. I've sold that rifle few years ago and the crack never reappeared, even thought that rifle had more than 3500 full loads 500gr/2680-2720fps. through it.

Shoot well
Peter

You could also..

...Send your stock to a stock maker and have a completely new stock modeled from the wood of your choice.

:)

Come on Peter. Now beat that...hehe.

One would only assume

...Send your stock to a stock maker and have a completely new stock modeled from the wood of your choice.

:)

Come on Peter. Now beat that...hehe.

That this chap only asked the question, because he didn't want to spend that money on a new stock. He needs to ask himself if he wants to spend $5 and 5 minutes of his time and have the stock fixed for ever, or if he wants to spend $$$ what ever it may be and have a brand new stock from the wood of his choice.

My reply was to assist him with the best stock repaire that I know and I know that works 100%.
I'm not trying to beat you, you dumb imbecile or anyone else on this forum. If anything I'm here to share my knowledge with everybody including you, you dumb imbecile so you can learn something that when the times comes, you wouldn'd need to go to the stockmaker to spend $$$ as just as little as $5 will fix your stock forever.

Shoot well
Peter

Thanks for all help, I have heard of Acraglas being used and I do have some of that out in the garage so I think I will give that a try. Again Thanks for all help.

Thanks
Bored184

Stock repair

Peter's method provides a good final finish and should be used for final finish. If you select a glue with a high flow rate, capillary action alone will draw "some" glue into the crack. Before you use that method, and since the crack goes clean thru into the barrel channel, when you get your super glue, measure the tapered nozzle, select a drill bit that will allow a tight seal on the nozzle and drill a couple of shallow holes, (deep enought to reach the crack), from inside the channel into the major area of the crack, then, again, from the barrel channel, press the nozzle of the the super glue tightly into the drilled holes and squeeze the bottle, forcing glue to spread into the crack - if a little runs out the outside of the crack, more's the better. If you can spread the crack as Chuck suggested, again, more's the better. Remove any "wedge" and clamp immediately with soft jaw clamps. Acraglas is a wonderful product and if your stock damage was open/straight enough, you could work it into the crack with thread or dental floss - doesn't look like an option for you. JMO...jak.

Oh Peter...

Thanks for the dumb imbecile.. entitlement. I feel pretty...oh so pretty..so happy...

I was thinking outside of the box. Of course if cost is an issue I absolutely demur to your stalwart recommendation.

However if it is okay with you I will stay open minded. :eek:

I will always shoot well. :eek:

Have fun.

Thanks for the dumb imbecile.. entitlement. I feel pretty...oh so pretty..so happy...

I was thinking outside of the box. Of course if cost is an issue I absolutely demur to your stalwart recommendation.

However if it is okay with you I will stay open minded. :eek:

I will always shoot well. :eek:

Have fun.

I'm glad to see that you'r in a good spirit and always shoot well. I'm also glad that this chap decided what he wants to do with his stock and he's happy about it. No bad feelings Pal.

Shoot well
Peter

gun stock repair

To strengthen a cracked forearm, glass in fine window screen. Should last for ever.

Back