best front rest

D

deliterman

:confused: what is the best front rest with windage ?bald eagle is no more, how does the Sinclair top of the line match up with the Caldwell br 1000 also with windage top ? any thoughts on this. looking for all the help i can get.thanks.

In the past 6 months I spent a lot of time looking at both one piece rests and front rests with rear bag set ups and I chose a Von Ahrens one piece rest. However, if I were to purchase a front rest and bag set up, I would purchase one of Ken Fulgham's "Fulghum Belt-Drive Front Rest" with the Fudd top.

Here is a good writeup about it:
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/04/26/fulghum-belt-drive-front-rest/

I do have a Caldwell Rock BR Competition rest however I do not consider it suitable for benchrest shooting, I use it only for sighting guns/scopes and I only mention it as I have a full set of "ProteKtor" leather bags with it and like the ProteKtor #13 rear rest bag I use with it very much...

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lamon Loggins makes a great one. There was one in the classifieds. The Fulgham rest is also good.

I have a Ken Fulghum with a Fudd fixed top (no windage needed). I believe it is without equal. It is actually easier for me to move around the target with it than with my Pappas one piece. The Pappas does track a bit better on recoil though. I do not feel I am at a disadvantage with either. bob finger

Fulghum rest! Ken Fulghum 336 625 0411. smooth as butter, can't be beat at any price, I have used one and am saving my change to get one. I think if you do a search it will show you what you can expect. but you will not be disapointed.

Semper fi
pickles

I have a Ken Fulghum with a Fudd fixed top (no windage needed). I believe it is without equal. It is actually easier for me to move around the target with it than with my Pappas one piece. The Pappas does track a bit better on recoil though. I do not feel I am at a disadvantage with either. bob finger

Bob, you must have caught my reply - posting #2, before I edited it right after sending it to remove "windage" from the bit about Fulgham with Fudd top... That was an error on my part that I blame on the fact that I'm on the waiting list for a Fudd Windage top for my Caldwell rest.

Another excellent front rest from what I hear of it is the Cowan front rest. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Cowan rest so did not mention it.

What people mostly shoot with around this neck of the woods is the Pappas one piece rest or if a two piece, its the Caldwell rock BR competition rest with the Fudd windage top with a bunny ear rear bag. It would seem that in the New England area, the Fudd Windage top on a Caldwell base (or any base for that matter) is the most common choice however that may be influenced because this is New England and folks up this way are known for knowing how to stretch a dollar to the limit.

Interestingly, I have not seen anyone using a Sinclair Rest at any of the matches I go to nor have I seen anyone using a joy stick type rest.

Happy Shooting Y'all,
Mitch & Shadow...

kudos

To ShadowChaser goes kudos.
He spelled "y'all" correctly. Pretty good, for a yank!
I'm shopping for a rest presently, thanks for the postings guys.
Then again, might just shoot off a bipod, "old school" style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Front Rest

Mako:
Come on out to the Cedar Pointe ARA Night shoot on Saturday, June 20th, and I'll let you try my front rest before you buy. Sign up at 6PM. This is the same rest I used to win the Australian BR30 Nationals, before I went to a one piece exclusively.
www.dietzvillebrc.com

front rest.

thanks for all the good info on this question.the bald eagle that i have is easyly set up for any type of windage set up,it's just takes some time to sort through all the photes that i have.i have got some ideas from the one piece rest that i have seen at the matches that i have shot in latly.i took lots of photos of the front rest part of the one piece rests.again thanks for all the help.:D

I use a Sinclair base with a Fudd windage top. the Sinclair windage top did not have enough "swing" to cover the target unless I was PERFECTLY centered and then it was a challange. The Fudd has plenty of movement and slides from side to side Vs. the Sinclair swings. This set-up works good for me. But I only shoot local matches.:D

Back