Best Bolt Action 22 LR for $500 ??

ConRich

Dick Parrino
I am not involved in rimfire benchrest, I shoot in IBS HVFS. This winter I enjoyed shooting rimfire in the informal "Fun Matches" at my local rifle club. Some matches are at 50ft indoors and some are outdoors at 50 and 100yds.

I have been shooting a Ruger 10/22 with a 3x - 9x scope. It shoots very well for what it is and I did win a couple matches. Now I am ready to move up to a more serious bolt action rifle and need some advice.

The two rifles that I am considering are, the CZ 453 Varmint 22LR 21" HB, and the Savage Mark II BV 22LR. Both are under $500.

Any opinions on these rifles, or any others that I should be looking at would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Rich

None

of the shooters who participate in rimfire benchrest at the club where I shoot have been successful with either the CZ or the Savage though several have tried. I don't want to rain on your parade, but it's probably not possible to get a competitive .22LR, even at the local club level, in the $500 range. If you're doing well with the Ruger, invest in several different ammunition types Eley and Lapua come to mind.

I guess the questions are, how seriously are you going to compete and what is the competition at your club? If I were intending to compete at the "introductory" level. I'd get a Cooper TRP-3, add a Jard trigger, a Hoehn tuner and a Weaver T-36 scope. Unfortunately that little package will cost you somewhere in the range of $2K. Have you checked ammo prices lately? It isn't a cheap sport!

I would avoid the Savage like the plague. I had three Savage Mark II FSS rifles over a period of about nine months. Bought one, and two warranty replacements. All were bad. I actually replaced it with a CZ 453 Varmint, and I've been much happier with it. Excellent gun for the money, and I'd say go that route. I don't think you'll get much love here for anything in the price range, as most people here seem to be pretty serious competitors with, relatively speaking, high-dollar custom rigs. But in that price range, I think it'll be hard to beat the CZ 453 Varmint.

Best 22 for $500

Rich,
If you could stretch the budget another $100 to $150, you could probably buy a used Anschutz model 64 off GunBroker. It would more than get you started.

Mark

I didn't see anything in your post about wanting to shoot benchrest, just that you were looking for something a little more accurate than the 10/22. Either the Savage or CZ will be a good choice, but I think the CZ has the edge. It's a much nicer looking rifle, with a great trigger. I like the accu-trigger on the Savage, but some people don't. Either one of them will shoot better than the 10/22. Have fun.

I read it wrong. :confused:
Sorry

Forget what I said.

CZ will be good enough.

Brad

If you are interested in shooting in MATCHES with a $500 rifle . . .

. . . We have established some standardized rules for Factory Sporter rifles over on Rimfire Central. To keep from getting into an equipment race we do not allow the Anschuz or the Cooper.

The CZ American and Varmint are the most popular rifles in our Factory Sporter Class.

Here are the rules:
1. Rifle Value: May not exceed the “NiB” (New in Box) BlueBook value of $500.00. A list of eligible rifles will be compiled. If you are not sure of the value of your rifle: Shoot it anyway. We will tell you if it meets the $500.00 rule.

2. Weight must not exceed 8.5 lbs with scope or iron sights attached.

3. Must have the original factory barrel, and stock. Butt stock may be cut back to fit a Lady or Junior shooter. Barrel must not be rechambered or cut back. Recrowning is allowed.

4. Free floating the barrel and glass/pillar bedding is allowed. Upward pressure on the barrel with shims/glass is allowed. Tuners at the muzzle or screw type tuners in the stock are not allowed. Any labor charge by a gunsmith will not be included in the $500.00 limit.

5. Triggers must be safe. Trigger tuning is allowed. Aftermarket triggers or parts are allowed if the cost of trigger/parts, when added to the blue book vaulue of the rifle, does not exceed $500.00. Any labor charge by a gunsmith will not be included in the $500.00 limit.

6. Scope sights will be limited to not more than 24 power. No limit on the cost of the scope, or iron sights. Diopter lenses are allowed in iron sights,

7. Rests: Elevation and windage adjustments on rests must not be moved after the first sighter shot. A bipod may be attached to the rifle. It will not be included in the 8.5 lb. weight limit.

8. Ammunition Value: 22 Long Rifle Rimfire ammunition must not exceed $6.00 per box of 50 or $60.00 per brick of 500, before transportation or taxes.

9. If a rifle fits the rules for more than one rifle class, you may enter the rifle in each of those classes. Before you start a target, you write the rifle class on the target and enter that score in that rifle class. Do not enter that score in more than one match. You may shoot a maximum four targets per month in each rifle class where the rifle fits the rules. Post your best score(s) in the correct match thread for the month.

10. Box Stock Rifles: The rifle must meet the ,22 Factory Sporter rules, and may not exceed the “NiB” (New in Box) BlueBook value of $500.00: No modifications to the rifle, the trigger, or the bedding. The rifle must be as it came out of the box from the factory. If you shoot a (BOX STOCK) rifle in this class: At the begining of the third line of your score entry: Type (BOX STOCK).
----------------------------------------------

I am not sure about current prices, but this is what I did:
Savage MkII FV
Sharp Shooters Stock http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
Sharp Shooters Trigger
Lilja Tight Bore SS Barrel

MkIIwithSSSstock1.jpg

The gun shot nearly as well with the Savage heavy barrel as it does now with the Lilja and the cost would be right in your neighborhood.....Do Not mis-understand, this is not capable of competing with the folks in the sanctioned matches but won the local un-sanctioned Sporter class here in Ohio three years running competing against other Savages-CZ 452's-Marlins-10/22's etc.
Just a thought;
glenn (buckeyeair)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You

Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my question.

I will probably never shoot in a sanctioned rimfire match of any type. My main interest is "IBS Heavy Varmint for Score", but I do enjoy the rimfire "FUN SHOOTS" at my club durring the off season. Today I ordered the CZ 453 Varmint, I think that it will be a good choice for what I will be doing.

Thanks again for the help,
Rich

Gene Davis . . .

. . . has 40X actions. From what he told me: Lots of them.
----------------------------------------
Gene Davis
3450 Pleasnatville Road N.E
Pleasantville, Ohio 43148
gdavis10@columbus.rr.com
Tel: 740-468-2232

I just got an email from Gene, and he doesn't have any 40x actions.

Back