Best action(s) for a rail gun

BTJ

Looking for thoughts on best action(s) for a rail. Top loader? Two or three lug? 1.35" - 1.55" - 1.74" diameter? Polished or melonite? SS or CM?

Looking for pros and cons of different actions and what you use and love or what you've used and don't like and why. I currently use a DS on a Young rail (has spacers so it's a little wider and heavier than a narrow top). Seems a little slow when I hit a good condition and try to run em'. Thinking of a BAT 3L top loader @ 1.55" with melonite finish - but lots of talk about heavy lift. I've used a 3L on a bag gun and don't notice a problem with lift. Looking for all sorts of opinions. Thanks for your input.

I have a chrome moly 1.550 Bat B on a Young rail. Right bolt left port right eject. It seems to work well and seems fast to me. I doubt if action diameter will have anything to do with accuracy. I’ve never had a chrome moly action gall the lugs. But, I have had stainless actions gall. I don’t personally own any melonite coated benchrest actions but that would be my choice if I was building a rifle for myself now. I’d go chrome moly melonite costed, but that’s a lot harder to find than a stainless melonite coated action. I don’t shoot three lug actions so can’t comment on that. I do have a rail gun with a Stiller Diamondback drop port. The drop port worked very well. The lack of a coned bolt not so much. I won’t shoot a left loading port drop port action that has a Sako extractor facing the loading port when it’s in a closed position even if it’s very unlikely that you’ll ever blow an extractor with a 6 PPC. I don’t want that extractor in line with my face when I’m shooting.

Last edited:
I use a Stolle Panda left feed right eject for 6mm PPC.
I find the Stolle action a little 'faster' than the BAT, but one must still keep some Friction Free or the like on the bolt for running those occasional good conditions.

I'll mention that rail guns are like bag guns....if it won't shoot good enough to win get something else.

While I appreciate the question, I really don't think there's an answer. I'll offer an example so you may catch my drift. Keith Gantt had a sleeved Remington that was difficult to shoot fast but shot very well. Keith went to the range and developed/practiced a shooting technique such that he could shoot as quickly as anyone...with anything....and won quite a bit There's a funny story though...Keith was shooting fast one day at Wilmington and lost track. He pulled the trigger before he pushed the rail forward and to say his rail didn't track well would be an understatement. I was on the bench to his left and he stopped shooting and said "Uh-Oh". I don't think I've ever heard "Uh-Oh" stated any better.

Actually, I'm using knowledge from another time...prior to the 5 shot unlimited and my opinion may be "tainted" somewhat.

What Rail Gun?

Given the current prices of some of the high end custom actions, the question could be asked, 'What Rail Gun for the action".:)

Glenn

IMG_0761 (1).JPG

This is a BAT 3LL that is 2 inch OD, top feed, right eject action that is also Melonited. When a guy fires this action a loaded round is in the chamber and a loaded round is laid on top of the bolt in the feed port. After firing, the top slides back the bolt is cycled and a loaded round is laid in the port while the top is slid back forward. Friends of mine are surprised at how fast it can be fired, it also shoots very well. While practicing at my range my wife recorded several ten shot strings in slightly under 25 seconds, Larry White could really cook with this thing.::)

Don't know why it turned the photo, can someone here fix it?

Long ago

View attachment 22353

this is a bat 3ll that is 2 inch od, top feed, right eject action that is also melonited. When a guy fires this action a loaded round is in the chamber and a loaded round is laid on top of the bolt in the feed port. After firing, the top slides back the bolt is cycled and a loaded round is laid in the port while the top is slid back forward. Friends of mine are surprised at how fast it can be fired, it also shoots very well. While practicing at my range my wife recorded several ten shot strings in slightly under 25 seconds, larry white could really cook with this thing.::)

don't know why it turned the photo, can someone here fix it?
phil sauer 10 shots in 12 sec

Back