Berger105 VLD Target vs. Hunting

B

bkluke

Has anyone noticed, that the 105 Berger VLD target bullet measures shorter than the hunting bullet. :confused: I was told that the were the same bullet except for, the target bullet had a thicker jacket. Have any of you had good results with these thick jacketed bullets? My Dasher is shooting the hunting bullet real good, but I'm out. All I could get were the Target bullets.

Thanks in advance :D
Brian

brian,
i think it is a lot to lot thing. we have a lot of the "hunting" ones here that are short enough to change back to a shorter freebore. i have no idea what causes it, but it shows up in the base to ogive measurement. they shoot really good though, so i guess we switch reamers untill they are gone. a more recent lot of "hunting" ones, is back to what we thought is normal, so????

eric will probablly chime in brian, but i think the thick and thin are intented to be identical.
tom

Brian
I have been using the thicks and my father has been using the thins in our 6BR's.They shoot equally well in both guns even though the thins measure a little better.Both guns use the same reamer and Hart barrels from the same date.
In our guns they like an OAL of 2.340 inches at the maximum load and 2.380 at the 30.2 grain load using Varget.
We will be shooting both 7-26-09 at 1,000 yards.
Lynn aka Waterboy

Lynn,

What velocity are you getting at 30.2 gr Varget? I am at 32.0 gr. and just over 2900FPS in a 28" Krieger barrel. These are the older 105 VLD.

Thanks,

Jeff

The hunting versions work better in my Dasher. I'm averaging 2969 out of a 26.75" Bartlein with 33.0 Varget/Wolf SRM jammed .010".

Back