Berger 30 cal 155.5 gr BT Name Change

Eric Stecker

We have learned that the person at the NRA who originally approved our use of the word Palma to describe our new 30 cal 155.5 gr bullets does not have the authority to do so. We went through the official application process with the NRA and have been denied the use of the word Palma. For this reason we are changing the name of this bullet to 30 cal 155.5 gr BT Fullbore.

We are using the word Fullbore because it is a style of shooting very much like Palma. Fullbore shooters compete in the prone position at distances from 300 to 1000 yards (Palma shooters compete at 800, 900, and 1000 yards in the prone position).

Let me be clear that this bullet was designed specifically for International Palma competition (to comply with the 156.0 gr or lighter rule) and even though we cannot call it a Palma bullet this is its intend purpose. I apologize for any confusion created by this situation.

The latest run has been completed and bullets will start shipping today.

Regards,
Eric

You should have changed it to "Palma-ish". Or "P-word". Something funny.

155.5 Palmatch BT

EH?

how bout posting a poll and let the boys name it?

Last edited:
I sort of liked Amlap which was another suggestion.

A quick websearch doesn't show any manufacturer using "Palma" as the actual name of their 308 155 grain bullets. For Sierra it's a Matchking and for Laupa it's a Scenar though both say in their liturature bullets were developed for use in Palma matches. It doesn't look to me like the NRA is playing favorites. I preume the NRA doesn't have a problem with your bullets being used in sanctioned NRA Palma matches. The name Berger is at least as prestigious to match shooters as Sierra and Lapua.

Berger .308 155.5 grain BT - for Palma (R) says what's needed.

By the way the recommended abbrviation for grains is gn. While g is correct for grams gr is often used for grams and confused for both grams and grains. "gn" or better "grains" is less ambiguous. Note the header of this thread. While being picky .308 is a better description than 30 Cal too. there are enough "30 cal" firearms around which shoot .310-.312 bullets. I like a manufacturers model number too. The number should change if and when the design changes significanly. A suffix should define coatings if any, not a different model number. I think cute names create confusion, not clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
1000yd Benchrest

Hi all , When using the projectile for 1000yd Benchrest ,what cartridge /powder/ and bullet speed has proved to be the best so far ??..JR.. Jeff Rogers

It doesn't look to me like the NRA is playing favorites.

To be clear I am not suggesting that the NRA is playing favorites. The reason for the post is because we started calling this new bullet a "Palma" bullet but had to switch the name. Several tests reported excellent results and I did not want anyone to think that the bullet changed.

The NRA has their reasons and I will not argue with them especially if I don't know what are the reasons. Sierra has an agreement to use the word Palma on their boxes but I believe this was from a long standing arrangement and does not have anything to do with our request.

By the way the recommended abbrviation for grains is gn. While g is correct for grams gr is often used for grams and confused for both grams and grains. "gn" or better "grains" is less ambiguous. Note the header of this thread. While being picky .308 is a better description than 30 Cal too. there are enough "30 cal" firearms around which shoot .310-.312 bullets. I like a manufacturers model number too. A suffix should define coatings if any, not a different model number.

I am interested in clarity and after 19 years in the industry I had not learned the facts you mentioned above. I am not suggesting that you are wrong but I wonder why this has not been mentioned before. Maybe it was. I'll do better next time.

Regards,
Eric

By the way the recommended abbrviation for grains is gn.

I believe the correct abbreviation is "gr."

ISO 31 would be the definitive source, but they aren't likely to publish anything on the web for free in this century. It's also possible that there is no official abbreviation. NIST doesn't list one in their units of mass.

grain (gr) [1]
a traditional unit of weight. The grain, equal to 1/480 troy ounce (see also pound [2]), or exactly 64.798 91 milligrams, was the legal foundation of traditional English weight systems, with various pounds being defined as a specified number of grains: 5760 grains in a troy pound and 7000 grains in an avoirdupois pound, for example. In the version of the troy system used by jewelers, there are 24 grains in a pennyweight and 20 pennyweight in an ounce. In the version used by apothecaries, there are 20 grains in a scruple, 3 scruples in a dram, and 8 drams in an ounce. Originally the grain was defined in England as the weight of a barleycorn. This made the English grain larger the corresponding grain units of France and other nations of the Continent, because those units were based on the weight of the smaller wheat grain.
grain (gr) [2]
a unit of weight formerly used by jewelers in measuring diamonds and other precious stones. The jeweler's grain is exactly 1/4 carat. Now that the carat has been standardized at 200 milligrams, the jeweler's grain is exactly 50 milligrams, or approximately 0.7716 troy grain. This unit is widely used for measuring pearls, so it is sometimes called the pearl grain.
grain (gr) [3]
a traditional French unit of weight equal to 53.115 milligrams.

Settles it in my mind

grain (gr) [1]
a traditional unit of weight.
grain (gr) [2]
a unit of weight formerly used by jewelers in measuring diamonds and other precious stones.
grain (gr) [3]
a traditional French unit of weight equal to 53.115 milligrams.

German,

Thank you for clearing this up for me. Felt strange to think I had been wrong all these years.

Regards,
Eric

Just let me know when the new 10.5 scruple bullets are out, I need to buy a few thousand! :p
German

So Eric.. I hate to be a thorn in your side, BUT.....

As to our discussion elsewhere. Is there any chance of opening up your bullet sales to multiple places in Kalispell, MT.

Thanks, Kelly

Is there any chance of opening up your bullet sales to multiple places in Kalispell, MT.

Kelly,

I can assure you that we do not limit the number of gunshops that carry Berger in a given location. If it were up to me Bergers would be in every gunshop in the US. We are working on that situation everyday.

I spoke with our sales rep and he relayed Snappy Sport Center is being set up as a dealer. Adding them to Brass Bullets gives us two dealers in Kalispell. If you have a particular dealer in mind that should be selling Bergers pass their contact information on to Tom Hime at tom.hime@bergerbullets.com.

Regards,
Eric

Back