Benny Sunderhaus w-Johnson Barrel Rifle

saleen322

We have a Benny rifle with an Eric Johnson barrel. The rifle shot very well the last time it was shot but it is just used as a wall hanger now. We are thinking about selling the rifle and let someone else enjoy it but we have no idea of its value. Any information that would help us put a value on the bare rifle without sights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

32409142507_80ce726bf0_b.jpg
38674776595_38fe6ee02a.jpg

Unfortunately, vintage position rifles simply do not command what they should. At the right moment with the right guy you could reach $1500 but in todays environment $1200 give or take unless you are very patient.

Thanks for the response Tim. We have had it over 15 years and if the market is that soft for them, it may be better to just keep it for now. There were only about 85 ever made so they will be getting harder to find and maybe a little more appreciated as time passes.

Thanks for the response Tim. We have had it over 15 years and if the market is that soft for them, it may be better to just keep it for now. There were only about 85 ever made so they will be getting harder to find and maybe a little more appreciated as time passes.

Unfortunately the value probably will never go up.
First off most of today’s buyers haven’t an inkling of the provenance.
Secondly when it comes to repair parts... are there any? The lack of a future reliable source of parts would/should be of concern. Sure holds true in the world of limited run custom shotguns.

That is not the issue. The same thing exists for rare and desirable single shot rifles, unfortunately the majority of guys that know and appreciate what these are, as well as yours, are dying off and thete are very few younger shooters with much, if any interest.
Get what you can or carry it to the grave......unfortunately it looks like that is not gonna change.
Don’t believe me, go over to the ASSRA site and look at all the threads on collectable single shot rifles and the substantial price decline.

That is not the issue. The same thing exists for rare and desirable single shot rifles, unfortunately the majority of guys that know and appreciate what these are, as well as yours, are dying off and thete are very few younger shooters with much, if any interest.
Get what you can or carry it to the grave......unfortunately it looks like that is not gonna change.
Don’t believe me, go over to the ASSRA site and look at all the threads on collectable single shot rifles and the substantial price decline.

I agree it is a limited market and not always predictable. We have a 417 Stevens that we paid as I recall about $700 for it. It was something I had been kind of looking for for quite a while. Doing some brief checking it seems the price is more than that now and for a CPA replica, I believe they are a lot more. I am certain there are bargains out there even with a limited supply that is balanced with specialized demand. Again, thank you for the reply we appreciate it.

Sorry for the late response. My dad shot a Benny in the 60s, I think #68. Stainless barrel is about all I remember of it. He sold it to an Olympic hopeful in AZ. I ask few shooting friends if they might know anyone at Ben Avery and within a day a lawyer from Cincinnati contacted me that he had my dads rifle. Lost track of him now, he didn’t want to sell it. Dad shot locally in Circleville Ohio plus other area matches in Marietta and Sidney that I remember going to. I went to Camp Perry with him too. I have his Eric Johnson Ballard he set records with. I’d like the have his Benny but I’m not a rifle shooter other than for fun.

I was able to acquire a few barrels from Karl Kenyon's estate. 2 were for Morgan receivers and 3 were for mod 37 Remingtons. I'll agree with Tim and others, it is a nice rifle but little desire out there. I've had a few and a couple with great provenance, but not much interest out there. I sold my Karl Kenyon Martini for no profit, but it went to a good home. I still have my Mike Walker M37 and will hold on to it.
Hold on to it and appreciate it for what it is and not what you may hope that it is worth.

I forgot to say that those barrels are Johnson 5 star barrels.

Last edited:
Update…. Was at Syracuse gun show Sat. Biggest one in NYS.
I was surprised at several tables with pristine rimfire 52’s, 40X’s, 37’s and especially Martinis(about 8) all with great sights or Unertl’s in pristine shape. All but the 40X’s were marked at very reasonable prices which also seemed negotiable from my understanding.
As stated, lots of older guys’ equipment coming up in a limited market.

Sorry for the late response. My dad shot a Benny in the 60s, I think #68. Stainless barrel is about all I remember of it. He sold it to an Olympic hopeful in AZ. I ask few shooting friends if they might know anyone at Ben Avery and within a day a lawyer from Cincinnati contacted me that he had my dads rifle. Lost track of him now, he didn’t want to sell it. Dad shot locally in Circleville Ohio plus other area matches in Marietta and Sidney that I remember going to. I went to Camp Perry with him too. I have his Eric Johnson Ballard he set records with. I’d like the have his Benny but I’m not a rifle shooter other than for fun.

PM sent

Back