Benchrest

30NL/IMP

I am interested in shooting Airgun Benchrest, my experience is centerfire and rimfire benchrest and know nothing about airguns. I am looking for advise in selecting a rifle and any information that may help. I have room for a 25yd range in my backyard and can think of nothing better then rising in the morning, start the coffee pot, then shoot several cards before starting the day. Thanks...John

John,
I am in the same boat as you. One site that helped me decide on my equipment beside this forum is airgunadvice.net.
I talked with several dealers and read several revues. I ended ordering a Theoban USA MFR from Alan Zasadny My other choice was going to be a MAC1 Hunter (I still might order one from Tim)
I am running rimfire benchrest shoots at Holbrook Sportsmens Club in MA with Airgun benchrest in the afternoon.
Paul

Thanks Paul, I will check the web-site...my plan is to shoot here at the house and compete when matches are within reach. Here in southern Nevada shooters are starting to talk about air rifles and possible matches in the future. Looking for all the advise and info I can find...Thanks John

Thanks for the info...looking for opinions on CO2 vs PCP for benchrest shooting...seems 25yds will be the distance for most outdoor matches. I am steering clear of Chinese rifles and those with plastic parts...looking at the TAU 200. My plan is to start with a good benchrest air rifle then upgrade to top equipment when formal matches are started in our area...for direct contact I can be reached at e-mail: jseines@aol.com

Thanks, John

CO2 is a bit temp sensitive as to velocity. It is used in 10M guns because those are indoor contests where it is never cool. In the summer, the co2 would work fine.

Match vs FT at 25 yds.

"match" air rifles are referred to as 10M / 10yd rifles. My .22lr shoots flat at 50yds and drops approx. 5-6" at 100yds. What is the "normal" drop of a 10M match rifle at 25yds? How much accuracy is lost going out to 25yds outdoors in the wind?

FT rifles shoot at a much higher velocity (800 fps + vs 550 fps), approx. 50% faster, and therefore are good to 50yds +. Would a FT rifle be a better choice at 25 yds than a 10yd match air rifle?

Trying to decide on my first air rifle and I want to make the "right" decision the first time.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Dave

For the unlimited class, the FT is much easier to shoot because of less wind drift but the match rifle would have the same inherent "accuracy". There is a match class and in that class, everyone shoots the same....drop is irrelevent, just zero for range.

Thanks for the reply's...good info. Does anyone have data/performance specs on the Falcon FN 19-SB...on the hunt for an entry level benchrest air rifle. Any advise is welcome. Thanks John

Back