Benchrest Folks

Joe

My 23 year old son is showing some interest in long range shooting. Mostly for hunting deer. He has been asking me a lot of questions, caliber, action, stock, etc..... and wants me to build him a rifle.
We went to a local gun show last weekend to look for components and see what's out there to cannibalize for a new build.
On the way I told him that he should go to a couple of long range shoots (there is a 1000 yard range 20 min. from the house) and ask around what people are using. Look at equipment and get a feel for what he wants.

I also told him that benchrest people are so helpful that I will guarantee him that someone would offer him their gun to shoot in a match.

Well, when we got to the gun show, John Hoover and his wife Dianne were there with a table set up. John and dianne shoot 1000 yard stuff.

I introduced my son to them and told them what we were doing, checking out equipment for a build, and that my son doesn't really know what he wants yet.

The first thing out of John and Diannes' mouths were......... "let us know that you are coming and we will bring a gun for you to shoot". John also commented that he would surely bring a "good" gun, one that he would not be afraid to shoot in competition himself.

John and Dianne.............Thanks.

We all know that we must help each other out. Bringing new people in to our sport keeps things alive and moving, not to mention that fresh competition makes all better competitors.

Benchrest folks are good people

Id bet you can find one 'for sale' and not have to fool with a build. Then again you may want to build your own-to your specs.

Back