Bench Top Bead Blast Cabinets

Zebra13

Gents,

Do any of you guys have smaller, or bench top bead blast cabinets? If so, what have you got and are you happy with it, and what compressor are you using to run it?

Thanks,
Justin

don't have a bench top but 24"x48" , being fed with a 40 cfm compressor 180 gal. tank-- air volume is the name of the game not pressure. Larger the gun orifice the more volume you need or you will be constantly waiting on the compressor to catch up. 60 to 90 PSI is the area pressure wise the gun/cabinet will operate at. Big tank keeps you going longer also as in at least 60 gallon also keeps compressor from running constantly.
You can get away with smaller just get interrupted when you run out of air. No too much different than an 1/2" impact wrench.

I have the bench top cabinet from Harbor Friegt, got it from a buddy in a trade. It works ok and I use a 80 gallon tank, 1hp motor and it supplies enough air to get the job done on small parts.
I had to do some work on the cabinet as they have a number of areas that leak air/media, so I used silicone caul to seal up the cabinet. If you just need something for small parts it works well.

I too, HF....

I bought a bunch of ceramic candelabra bulb bases https://smile.amazon.com/FINELED-Ca...c+base+candelabra+bulb&qid=1590030797&sr=8-18

And a bunch of LED bulbs https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RGY393/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I drilled appropriate holes into the cabinet, basically put a light every 6" on any surface I can't see thru the window, mocked it all up with dum dum cuz that's how I roll..... and have never "fixed" it cuz Dum Dum GOOD

https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-81881-5-Pound-Duct-Compound/dp/B008A3UG9E

20200520_202830.jpg

I have one and it is one step above horrible. One of the larger units would be better, but it will still take some upgrades to make it workable.

Joe

I've got a 24" x 36" and there have been many times that I've wanted something bigger. Upgraded lights are a must no matter what you get. If I had it to do over again, I'd go larger, maybe 48" x somethin'.

Compressor is an IR SS5: 60 gallon tank, continuous duty rated. They're a couple hundred more now than they were when I bought mine, but I think it's an extremely good compressor for the money - and mine is going on ~20 years.

GsT

years ago I started out with a 7cfm on a 60 gal tank- not big enough, then picked up a 18cfm on a 80 gal tank - almost there, then I got a offer from a friend I could not refuse $100) and that is the 54 cfm on 120 gal tank

years ago I started out with a 7cfm on a 60 gal tank- not big enough, then picked up a 18cfm on a 80 gal tank - almost there, then I got a offer from a friend I could not refuse $100) and that is the 54 cfm on 120 gal tank

Can't have too much CFM.

Can't have too much CFM.

That seems to be the gist of it. And buy a cabinet bigger than you think you need.

Having never looked into the whole blast cabinet business before, I was surprised by the size of the compressor needed to run a typical blaster. The cabinets are pretty affordable, but you might go broke buying a compressor to run it!

As I will be using the blaster for primarily gun parts...barrels and such...I might be able to go with a smaller than ideal compressor as the parts are generally small. I may have to wait a bit for the compressor to catch up occasionaly, but I have time. What's the old adage about time and money? If you have a lot of one, you don't need a lot of the other, or something like that...

But...I have a s'picion if I go that route, down the road a ways, I'll will be kicking me own arse for not buying a big enough compressor. Guess I'll just have to come out of pocket a bit more than envisioned...

Any of you guys messed with one of these?

https://www.barrelblaster.com

One of the locals had one for his blueing side-hustle and seemed pretty happy with it.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Justin

my cabinet is 48Lx 24W inside 4 arm ports - that is a little cramped width wise for me at times (I had a 36" carbide tip saw blade in here for repair about a month ago. had to use the blast pot outside to clean that one up) - another note for larger heavy objects a clam shell style is best. That 6 cyl inline would fit but it would be somewhat inconvenient trying to move it around.

Back