Bench Rest Beginner w/ Questions

huskerbob

I'm very new to bench rest shooting. I'm starting out with rimfire and will be shooting in a competition in a few months. Beginning with 25 yd and 50 yd contests. I have what I believe is satisfactory gear. I'm looking to see if I can find some helpful instructional info in the form of books, magazines, videos etc. geared for beginner rimfire shooters.

If any of you have come across materials that you've found helpful, I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm very new to bench rest shooting. I'm starting out with rimfire and will be shooting in a competition in a few months. Beginning with 25 yd and 50 yd contests. I have what I believe is satisfactory gear. I'm looking to see if I can find some helpful instructional info in the form of books, magazines, videos etc. geared for beginner rimfire shooters.

If any of you have come across materials that you've found helpful, I would appreciate any recommendations.

Huskerbob,

I think you will learn more by attending one match at any range in the country than you will learn from the books.

No matter which match you attend I can promise you there will be people there more than willing to tell you all you will need to know and a lot more.

The hard part for you will be deciding which people to listen to.

If you can't get to a match soon try looking on facebook or youtube for videos of ARA or PSL matches.

Schedules of matches can be found on the ARA and IR 50/50 websites.

TKH

Huskerbob,

I think you will learn more by attending one match at any range in the country than you will learn from the books.

No matter which match you attend I can promise you there will be people there more than willing to tell you all you will need to know and a lot more.

The hard part for you will be deciding which people to listen to.

If you can't get to a match soon try looking on facebook or youtube for videos of ARA or PSL matches.

Schedules of matches can be found on the ARA and IR 50/50 websites.

TKH

Thanks! I've spoken with quite a few experienced shooters at the range where I shoot. The "problem" as you alluded to, is........separating the "wheat from the chaff".

Thanks for responding!

Born and raised a proud Husker!!! Now retired and living is Southern Utah. If you live in McCook, any chance you know a guy name John Gumb???

Bob,

I live in Cozad some 90 miles from McCook but know about a dozen fellow shooters real well in the McCook area. I'm afraid John Gumb doesn't ring a bell though.

Southern Utah....if near St George, I've been there dozens of times to play golf in the winter years past. We also played at Mesquite just down the road.

Good Luck with your shooting,
Landy

This article by Hawkeye Wizard should be helpful. There is also a Part 2.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581909

Beginner Benchrest Shooting

Huskerbob - as an alternative to full blown ARA match guns many clubs also have local matches which depending on the rifle class, older wood stocked target guns and good sporters can be very competitive to get started as long as you have your rests sorted out. We have 100 yard rimfire matches just east of Omaha every month in the summer that have an unlimited class where the heavy ARA guns shoot in but also a 10.5lb class (no tuners), a factory sporter class (under 7.5lbs, any sites) and an iron sight class (any gun). We use the 100 yard NRA prone target, four targets, 10 rounds each, all off concrete benches and a perfect score is 400/40X which has only been done once at this range. The ARA guns are generally custom actions but in the other classes you see bolt Winchester 52s & 75s, Remington 37s, 40Xs, 581s, 541Ss,Ts, and rebuilt 541Xs, 54/64 Anschutz, tuned CZs, old Walthers, falling block Martinis, etc. Since we shoot at 100 yards in Iowa wind is almost a factor. Over in Lincoln, NE this last year the day before the ARA matches they had fun shoots limited to wood stock guns at 50 yards with several different ARA/PSL targets being used. I suggest checking the clubs around you to see what they offer - the matches I shoot are totally dominated by bolt guns, and the shooters are really good but very willing to teach. Good ammo is a must to place in any class and personally, sporter class is the toughest. Cheers! 87beemer

Back