Beginners Question

Preferred......

Generally where i shoot it seems that most prefer the flags to be at about bullet flight line height.Since your bullet is traveling there it seems logical to have flags there too. If we have several out we might have a high one also? I generally only use 3 flags and one of them has a "Joe-Da-Cator" on it. Some guys use 5-6 flags.
Colt.45

Most pull a string line frm the top of their bench to the bottom of their target if you go any higher your flags will get ventilated.....
Gary

Ernie,
I copied this from the IR5050 rules section:

WIND FLAGS
Wind flags can be utilized. Flags shall be no higher than line of sight from bench top to bottom of target. Wind flags may be changed when targets are changed and the range has been declared safe by the Rangemaster. No competitor can be forced to change legally set wind flags. The time allowed to change wind flags shall not be less than the time required to change the targets and no longer than the time allowed by the Rangemaster. If a flag interferes with a shooter's line of sight, the Rangemaster or representative will lay the flag on the ground. This must be done before commence fire. Any type of string line flag system will not be allowed.

I use a fishing reel on a rod handle, run the line, pulled tight, from the bottom of the target frame back to my bench on the left hand side. I use 4 Keeney wind flags spaced evenly between the bench and target frame, I raise the flags up to the fishing line. Just make sure none of the flag is obstructing the target.

Ron W.

If your question is how tall to make your flags, there is no good answer because SOME ranges are not level. you may need 5' flags or 6" flags depending on the lay of the land.

I tried the fishing reel, string. Was just something to keep up with so I learn to walk straight !!!
Fred K

If I don't use the fishing reel method those flags will be all over the place and I'll have to get up and move them at least 2-3 times, I guess I've got some kind of handicap where I cant set up wind flags strait. :rolleyes:

Ron,
I can't set mine up straight either. Just letting you know that you are definitely not alone. If I can get them in my line of sight and not in the bench to my left or right's line I can work with that. As far as the original question....I would place them just a bit low of bench to target so that you don't run the risk of "perforating" them and lower is better that multiple trips downrange to adjust. I built some adjustable poke-in poles a year or so ago and found that they weren't adjustable enough from a range in southern Indiana that required less than 20" to a range in northern Indiana that you needed 6'. All the responses have been right on par for the question. My answer is this. Know the ranges that you are going to shoot most for the construction of poles and then allow some other variables to that construction for ranges that you visit and do not know the terrain. Best of luck!

Carp

Ron,
I can't set mine up straight either. Just letting you know that you are definitely not alone. If I can get them in my line of sight and not in the bench to my left or right's line I can work with that. As far as the original question....I would place them just a bit low of bench to target so that you don't run the risk of "perforating" them and lower is better that multiple trips downrange to adjust. I built some adjustable poke-in poles a year or so ago and found that they weren't adjustable enough from a range in southern Indiana that required less than 20" to a range in northern Indiana that you needed 6'. All the responses have been right on par for the question. My answer is this. Know the ranges that you are going to shoot most for the construction of poles and then allow some other variables to that construction for ranges that you visit and do not know the terrain. Best of luck!

Carp

Well Carp, it's good to know I'm not the only one with this affliction, maybe we can start a support group or something. :D

Ron,
I have always liked to go to matches where the lines from center of the bench to the center of the target were painted. It sure made it easier to set up flags.

Carp

Back