Beginner, gonna try my first match in ARA factory

Bpike

I have been researching the ARA factory class since last year, in hopes of shooting it his year. Looking for some tips, as most of the time shooter’s are willing to share what they have learned if you are willing to listen. I waited to purchase a rifle until the rules came out, as it seemed like there was some “Rubbing is racing” kind of things going on with the MSRP, and the approved rifles list. The fact that the CZ 457 was blanket approved, but several variations of that rifle, while superbly accurate, exceeded the MSRP limit. At least that is how I interpreted what was going on last year. In any case, here is my equipment to start:

CZ 457 Pro-varmint (couldn’t find an MTR anywhere, until I purchased this one….). In the as purchased configuration. I have a set of Pete’s pillars, and some Devcon. Plan to pillar bed. Also have a Yo Dave trigger spring, but not yet installed. I would like to shoot the rifle in the first few matches in the as purchased configuration.

Scope is a 20 power, but seems I may want to step up to a 36x, as that seems to be the GOTO. Stuck between tying to find a Weaver T36 or a Sightron Sii. I hear that the Weaver T36 can be a bit of a crap shoot on clarity, some are great, some are just OK. Is that an accurate statement?

Front rest, I have the Protektor Aluminum front rest with Protektor bag.

Rear bag, I have a few options, from an old sock filled with rice (this is my goto on prairie dog shoots), to a Remington bunny ear bag with leather bunny ears (bottom likes to bulge though). At some point, I think a Protektor rear bag will be where I land.

Wind flags, I made these myself with a 3D printer. I copied a 2 vane “Wicks” design, and cut up some old carbon fiber arrows for the shafts, and used some collar stops with set screws for the front counterweights. They are neutrally balanced without the streamers (18” survey tape) attached at the rear. With the tape at the rear, the are biased towards the back. I have read that some people prefer this to be the case. However, I have no working knowledge to say if this is right/wrong.

Ammo, to be honest, didn’t do much testing here. Variety of match ammo is not available in my area. So, my plan is to purchase bricks of 500, shoot matches with it, and see how each performs. Currently, I have a brick of Eley semi-auto benchrest. On a low wind day, and my current setup, I was able to shoot 10 rounds into a 1/2” or a bit less at 50 yards with a flier about an inch out. Which is probably not stellar, but as I was told as a youngin’ “you gotta dance with the girl that brung ya”.

So that is my setup, any pointers on a first match would be well appreciated.

I have been researching the ARA factory class since last year, in hopes of shooting it his year. Looking for some tips, as most of the time shooter’s are willing to share what they have learned if you are willing to listen. I waited to purchase a rifle until the rules came out, as it seemed like there was some “Rubbing is racing” kind of things going on with the MSRP, and the approved rifles list. The fact that the CZ 457 was blanket approved, but several variations of that rifle, while superbly accurate, exceeded the MSRP limit. At least that is how I interpreted what was going on last year. In any case, here is my equipment to start:

CZ 457 Pro-varmint (couldn’t find an MTR anywhere, until I purchased this one….). In the as purchased configuration. I have a set of Pete’s pillars, and some Devcon. Plan to pillar bed. Also have a Yo Dave trigger spring, but not yet installed. I would like to shoot the rifle in the first few matches in the as purchased configuration.

Scope is a 20 power, but seems I may want to step up to a 36x, as that seems to be the GOTO. Stuck between tying to find a Weaver T36 or a Sightron Sii. I hear that the Weaver T36 can be a bit of a crap shoot on clarity, some are great, some are just OK. Is that an accurate statement?

Rear bag, I have a few options, from an old sock filled with rice (this is my goto on prairie dog shoots), to a Remington bunny ear bag with leather bunny ears (bottom likes to bulge though). At some point, I think a Protektor rear bag will be where I land.

Wind flags, I made these myself with a 3D printer. I copied a 2 vane “Wicks” design, and cut up some old carbon fiber arrows for the shafts, and used some collar stops with set screws for the front counterweights. They are neutrally balanced without the streamers (18” survey tape) attached at the rear. With the tape at the rear, the are biased towards the back. I have read that some people prefer this to be the case. However, I have no working knowledge to say if this is right/wrong.

Ammo, to be honest, didn’t do much testing here. Variety of match ammo is not available in my area. So, my plan is to purchase bricks of 500, shoot matches with it, and see how each performs. Currently, I have a brick of Eley semi-auto benchrest. On a low wind day, and my current setup, I was able to shoot 10 rounds into a 1/2” or a bit less at 50 yards with a flier about an inch out. Which is probably not stellar, but as I was told as a youngin’ “you gotta dance with the girl that brung ya”.

The best advice I can give you is: have fun.

Try hard and take your time shooting your target but don't go expecting too much.

Spend most of your time meeting and getting to know the other competitors.

There will always be time to improve your equipment and you're shooting technique.

Enjoy yourself and you will learn a lot.

TKH

It appears you’ve done your homework and are well prepared for your first match, so don’t have many tips per se that wouldn’t be better said face to face. The only thing you’re lacking is experience and many of us have as much fun gaining that experience as we do shooting the actual matches regardless of how well we do.

I don’t have a lot to add, but it looks like your closest match might be in Horton, KS or Holts Summit, MO where Maddie will have both the Factory Area Championship and the Factory State Tournament.

I shoot in Horton quite often in Unlimited ARA and should be there for the first match on 5/13/23.
Where were you planning to shoot?

If you go to Horton, I and others may be able to help you with any questions. I can even provide some ammo if you want to try any higher-level stuff (Eley Match/Tenex, Lapua CenterX/Midas+). I also have a T36 Weaver in great shape I’d sell.

Landy (Larry Landercasper)

Last edited:
It appears you’ve done your homework and are well prepared for your first match, so don’t have many tips per se that wouldn’t be better said face to face. The only thing you’re lacking is experience and many of us have as much fun gaining that experience as we do shooting the actual matches regardless of how well we do.

I don’t have a lot to add, but it looks like your closest match might be in Horton, KS or Holts Summit, MO where Maddie will have both the Factory Area Championship and the Factory State Tournament.

I shoot in Horton quite often in Unlimited ARA and should be there for the first match on 5/13/23.
Where were you planning to shoot?

If you go to Horton, I and others may be able to help you with any questions. I can even provide some ammo if you want to try any higher-level stuff (Eley Match/Tenex, Lapua CenterX/Midas+). I also have a T36 Weaver in great shape I’d sell.

Landy (Larry Landercasper)

Larry, thanks for the reply. Tmmrw will be shooting at Red’s in Polo, Mo. Then next weekend, Pioneer gun club outside KC. Also considered going over to Horton as well. I am 46, married, no kids, work a 9-5 as an engineer, so just looking for some fun. No expectations, just to shoot as well as I can, and have fun.

The best advice I can give you is: have fun.

Try hard and take your time shooting your target but don't go expecting too much.

Spend most of your time meeting and getting to know the other competitors.

There will always be time to improve your equipment and you're shooting technique.

Enjoy yourself and you will learn a lot.

TKH

Thanks, fun is the primary goal. Just afraid factory class may turn into unlimited, and turn into the $ required for unlimited, hahaha. I already have too many hobbies.

Protektor rear bag

Thanks, fun is the primary goal. Just afraid factory class may turn into unlimited, and turn into the $ required for unlimited, hahaha. I already have too many hobbies.

I have a Protektor rear bag that I used when I first starting shooting a few years back. It's now sitting in my closet, taking up space. If you decide you would need one, let me know, I'll give you a good price and I know it will be put to good use.

Good luck with your matches!

Larry, thanks for the reply. Tmmrw will be shooting at Red’s in Polo, Mo. Then next weekend, Pioneer gun club outside KC. Also considered going over to Horton as well. I am 46, married, no kids, work a 9-5 as an engineer, so just looking for some fun. No expectations, just to shoot as well as I can, and have fun.

You certainly have the right attitude and I'm betting you enjoy yourself. Perhaps we'll meet up sometime this summer.

Good Luck
Landy

Woohoo that was tough.

Shooting at the match sure wasn’t like shooting at my home range. It is amazing how much the wind effects the POI. I really wouldn’t have thought that elevation would have been shifted that much. Was it ever. Obviously, a lot to learn. I don’t think it was the worst score posted in ARA factory ever, but maybe close.

Back