BAT Machine roller cocking piece on Rem 700?

Rick B

Does anyone know if the BAT roller cocking piece can be used or modified to be used on a Rem 700 action?

Thanks

Does anyone know if the BAT roller cocking piece can be used or modified to be used on a Rem 700 action?

Thanks
I don't see any reason that it couldn't be made to work. It would just be a matter of a lot of work to do it. If you do it yourself, then it would probably be feasible. Pay someone to do it, then probably not. You'd have to build a bolt shroud that would fit the 700 bolt and thread the firing pin to fit the Bat cocking piece. The Bat bolt body is a little larger in diameter than a Remington bolt and that might make the cocking piece hang down a little more than what will work with a Remington. About the only way to know for sure would be to try it and see.

I don't see any reason that it couldn't be made to work. It would just be a matter of a lot of work to do it. If you do it yourself, then it would probably be feasible. Pay someone to do it, then probably not. You'd have to build a bolt shroud that would fit the 700 bolt and thread the firing pin to fit the Bat cocking piece. The Bat bolt body is a little larger in diameter than a Remington bolt and that might make the cocking piece hang down a little more than what will work with a Remington. About the only way to know for sure would be to try it and see.

Mike,

Thanks for the very detailed explanation. It does sound like a good bit of work.

Rick

Rick I don't see what it would accomplish if you have the bolt timing right on your Remington. I don't see many of the Bat ones and suspect it is a cure in which there is no problem.

I've found on Remington's I can shallow up the camming angle, dependent on the depth of the notch that holds the cocking piece, a good polish and they are a totally different.

Dave

Most of the roller bearing Bat cocking pieces that I've seen have been on the 3 lug Bats. I have seen it on a few 2 lug Bats, but most don't have it.

Although I've never done it, I can see I what Dave is talking about. There seems to be a lot of room between the notch and the top of the ramp. The more gradual the ramp, the easier it should be.

I haven't done it either, but wouldn't it be easier to just make a whole new cocking piece. Do all of the machine work, heat treat and install the roller on it?

Although I've never done it, I can see I what Dave is talking about. There seems to be a lot of room between the notch and the top of the ramp. The more gradual the ramp, the easier it should be.

Wayne I've done so many Remington's I just free hand them on the side of a grinding wheel now. It ends up as two different cam angles. The one I put on is shallower at the top of the bolt lift where there's max spring tension. With all the hot chit programmers out there I'm surprised no on has done it before. Either two different cam surfaces or a decreasing angle. Cratex wheel in a die grinder and polish it. Some grease and you think it's a different action. Takes 10 minutes.

Wayne I've done so many Remington's I just free hand them on the side of a grinding wheel now. It ends up as two different cam angles. The one I put on is shallower at the top of the bolt lift where there's max spring tension. With all the hot chit programmers out there I'm surprised no on has done it before. Either two different cam surfaces or a decreasing angle. Cratex wheel in a die grinder and polish it. Some grease and you think it's a different action. Takes 10 minutes.

Dave, I can see what you mean. Do you start the shallow angle midway? Would you happen to have a before and after pic? I have an XP that I finished up and the would like to make the dog leg bolt lift a little easier and smoother.

Back