Bartlien gain twist bbls

mr.big

I see some bbls at bulletcentral that are gain twist that are 14.5-13.75 and 15-14.25 and 13.85-13.75,,why would you want just a .10 gain?? somebody thinks it helps or they wouldnt make them,,

,,has anybody shot these bbls to see how they do?? I would really like to try the 14.5-13.75 with a zero freebore 6BR or the 6 Grendel cases,,accuracy is KING I know that but speed has a place also or everybody would still be shootin 222s,,

anybody have any experience with these gain twist bbls,,

I see some bbls at bulletcentral that are gain twist that are 14.5-13.75 and 15-14.25 and 13.85-13.75,,why would you want just a .10 gain?? somebody thinks it helps or they wouldnt make them,,

,,has anybody shot these bbls to see how they do?? I would really like to try the 14.5-13.75 with a zero freebore 6BR or the 6 Grendel cases,,accuracy is KING I know that but speed has a place also or everybody would still be shootin 222s,,

anybody have any experience with these gain twist bbls,,

It might be helpful if you indicated what you're going to do with it. Most seem to be going on BR guns.

I have a 15-14.3 6 mm. First match I shot it in, River Bend, I missed first in LV-00 by 0.008". The damn thing never shot worth crap again?? Me probably. I had Tracy make me a straight 14:3. I'm trying to learn it now, mostly with 0.750 jacket bullets. It don't like 0.825 jackets.

For a brief period gaintwist barrels were hot. Now?

Different application.

My 1000 Yards .223 20 inch barreled Service Rifle AR sports a Gain Twist. It starts at 13.x and finishes at 6.2. It handles the 90 VLDs very well at 1000 yards.

13-6 now that is a heck of a gain,,,how much velocity do you gain by that over a straight 6.5 twist??

I am intrigued by this in some way,,I would love to try a 22BR with that 13-6 gain bbl with the 90 gr VLDs or even the 80 SMKs,,

I am sure in a 20 inch 223 that the 13-6 would really lower pressure and gain speed over a 6.5 twist without shredding the jackets,,

I know a couple of "mediocre" shooters who use "gain twist" barrels. One is world champion Gene Bukys and the other is the number one shooter in BR Hall of Fame, Tony Boyer. Gene uses the aforementioned 13.85-13.75. He seems to do okay with it. Good shooting...James

Gain Twist 6 PPC

I haven't shot competition for awhile, however my Bartlien 13.85/13.75 is one of the best barrels I have ever owned. The barrel sure likes LT 32 and Berger columns

How does one measure the twist in a gain twist barrel?
It seems to me that one can accept what Bartlein says is the gain because they use some very sophisticated (and expensive) equipment to cut the grooves. It certainly seems better than trying to measure with a cleaning rod and a tight fitting patch. Good shooting....James

I've got Gainers from Bartlein and other name-brand makers as well as two from small private makers.......I've "measured" some of them by dividing my cleaning rod into quarters longitudinally, measuring 4 times per revolution.

My 14-14 shoots very well. I still think if you get a good barrel, you get a good barrel. Too much hocus pocus out there. Yeah, I can't spell.

I'm curious, How to they lap a gain twist barrel? Is it just the tops of the lands, 'cause the helix angle is constantly getting steeper as you go toward the muzzle. On the radical gains the lap would bind if the grooves and the lands were lapped together. Also would not gain twist barrels work best in Unlimited class rifles, since varmint barrels, especially LV barrels, get a fair amount cut off both ends to make weight, which in turn kind of neutralizes the gain affect. UNL barrels can utilize all of the gain affect .

.just thinkin out loud,

Steve kostanich

Steve, Bartlein asks the finish length desired before they make the barrel. The twist is VERY uniform from breech end to muzzle. As far as lapping, I don't know but would guess that a soft lead plug would conform to the lands very well. Good shooting...James

Good question Steve. I need to scope my rimfire barrel and see if it has been lapped. It is a 16.5-15.983 LH twist 8 groove. I haven't chambered it yet.

Tony B shot one when the craze 1st started and shot well with it--BUT he could shoot a Piece Of Pipe and do well

Jim

Back