Barrels that shouldnt shoot good

jbhotrod

I hear talk quite a bit about how barrels that look completely f*(#ed in the bore, crown finished with a hacksaw, etc. actually turn out to hammer.. yet never seen such a thing firsthand. Any experience with these barrels that shouldnt shoot, yet do?

barrels that shouldn't shoot good

Yes I have a Winchester model 70 from the 80,s

I bore scoped it and saw all of the gopher holes and tool marks in it.

To say the least it would be called rough.

I decided t wait and re barrel it at a later date. I was in need of a plinker and decided to use it in a scrub match Factory rifles only'

after developing a load It shot quite well holding less then 3/4 inch at 100 yds

I hear talk quite a bit about how barrels that look completely f*(#ed in the bore, crown finished with a hacksaw, etc. actually turn out to hammer.. yet never seen such a thing firsthand. Any experience with these barrels that shouldnt shoot, yet do?

I've seen several hunting rifles that their bores looked horrible but shot better than most. I've also witnessed a UBR record set with a 6 PPC that had 11,000 rounds on it!! It finally gave up the ghost soon after that, but that's unreal! I knew that gun a little bit and it shot extremely well for seemingly forever. It was an old XP, IIRC, and was built by Seely Masker.

Thanks for replies yall!
Slightly OT - ..has anyone tried out a .30 Dasher/BRX/BRDX/BRAI/etc improved .30 BR for score? Why aint it caught on like the BR..? Id reckon the extra velocity couldnt hurt in rough wind.. so..?? Why not a .30 Dasher for score shootin??

barrels that shouldn't shoot good

Right now I shoot a 30 br and it works very well
I do have a 30 major reamer and when the barrel starts to loose t edge I'll re chamber a barrel with it.
It has the same bolt head as the 6ppc so it will fit my pandas
I have a 6 dasher 8 twist and it ok but really for longer ranges I was thinking about the 6 grendel with 80 gr bullets both for score and shoot a bit farther out

Right now I shoot a 30 br and it works very well
I do have a 30 major reamer and when the barrel starts to loose t edge I'll re chamber a barrel with it.
It has the same bolt head as the 6ppc so it will fit my pandas
I have a 6 dasher 8 twist and it ok but really for longer ranges I was thinking about the 6 grendel with 80 gr bullets both for score and shoot a bit farther out

6 Grendel also interests me I would think it would be a killer at 300yd..

6 Grendel also interests me I would think it would be a killer at 300yd..

Mine shoots very well but I haven't had it together long enough to wring it out much. Benchmark seems best, of all powders I've tried. Getting impressive velocities with 80gr EPS fb bullets and they seem to be shooting great!
As with anything, it's gonna take more time to test and prove things out, for better or worse..but it's very encouraging so far.

Mine shoots very well but I haven't had it together long enough to wring it out much. Benchmark seems best, of all powders I've tried. Getting impressive velocities with 80gr EPS fb bullets and they seem to be shooting great!
As with anything, it's gonna take more time to test and prove things out, for better or worse..but it's very encouraging so far.

Very cool sir definitely keep us posted! I would think this round is a serious contender in 300yd, the 400yd egg and clay shoots.. etc. in 6mm or even .224.. What kinda aggs would you expect outta yours at 100yd?? Bet itd also be a awesome mid range varmint round. What/whose barrel are you running for your 6 Grendel?

Back