Barrel Twist for 308Win

kvisser

Kobus Visser
I am confused by the conflicting information on the barrel makers web sites and my own experience. What is the best barrel twist rate for a 308Win using 168gr - 180gr match grade bullets. The rifle is intended for target shooting up to 800 yards.

Thanks
Kobus Visser

Hi

I have had good experiences with a 12 twist Bartlein Gain Twist and Berger 185gr LRBT bullets at 600 and 1000 yards.

Cheers

Bruce

The probles IS:

I am confused by the conflicting information on the barrel makers web sites and my own experience. What is the best barrel twist rate for a 308Win using 168gr - 180gr match grade bullets. The rifle is intended for target shooting up to 800 yards.

Thanks
Kobus Visser

The twist rate requirement is FAR more dependent upon bullet length than weight: sadly, most barrel & bullet makes stick to the weight standard - I suppose, because as it is easier.:p

The Original Sierra 168 Gr. International Match HP was perfectly stable via 1:15" twist barrels; the various newer & LONGER 168 Gr. bullets, not so much. That said, regardless of weight, a 1:12" twist should adequately stabilize most thirty Cal. bullets of up to 1.30" in length.; FB bullets can be a little longer. Good shootin'. RG

Thanks for the response, it is really helpful. I believe the 1:11 twist would be a safe option, especially with the restrictive option of powders here in South Africa. My preferred hunting rifle is a 308Win with a 1:12 twist barrel. This rifle definitely prefers 150gr bullets to 168gr and heavier. That was the reason for the initial request for information.

Using this calibre for sport shooting over distances up to 800 yards is however unfamiliar territory for me.

Thanks again for the help and also for this great web site.

Kobus Visser
South Africa

Back