Barrel for a 37

M

mrmosin

I don't shoot in competition, just local matches. I have a model 37 that needs a new barrel. Are take-offs from model 37 conversions available, or should I have a match barrel put on?

Be hard to find a good take off barrel I'd think. You would have to find a gunsmith thats been at it for quite a long time to have any significant number of take off 37 barrels in order to go through them to find one that looks good. Also, I've found that the original Remington headspace to be a little more generous then I'd like.

First thing I'd do is find a good gunsmith and see if the barrel you already have can be cut and rechambered.

You might get lucky by posting in the classifieds here on this site and find a nice take off, I think some of the guys here have been shooting a while. :)

If thats no good I'd get a match barrel put on. It will last you a LONG time depending on your group size expectations. My 37 prone gun has a Hart but when I went to get a barrel on my Morgan, Hart had some issues so I got a Bartlien. Both shoot far better than I can hold. Expect to spend about $550 out the door for a match barrel.

How are you so sure you need a new barrel? If the front end has been cut off then I will agree with you. Assuming it is still 28 inches long, have you had a good smith borescope it? Remington made some of the best ever barrels for the 37....it would be a shame to discard one of those if it can be saved. Have a smith set it back and rechamber and re headspace it before you give up on it. If I were looking for a 37 barrel I would first contact Butch Hongisto to see if he had a take off. My next choice would be a Remington taper Broughton 5c 28 inch. Good luck. bob finger

[Not only is it shorter, it has been turned down starting about 5" in front of the receiver to a sporter diameter.:eek:

[Not only is it shorter, it has been turned down starting about 5" in front of the receiver to a sporter diameter.:eek:

That alone shouldn't make it 'bad'. Unless the idea is that you have no confidence in the barrel. I agree with bob finger, the 37's had some of the sweetest shooting barrels ever made, on them. It may be cut down..but maybe it was cut down at the 'sweet spot' (tightest place in the barrel when test slugged). That would be a GOOD thing.

How many types of ammo have you tried shooting thru it? Maybe it will still shoot .1's..with the right fodder!?

I don't shoot in competition, just local matches. I have a model 37 that needs a new barrel. Are take-offs from model 37 conversions available, or should I have a match barrel put on?

mrmosin,

I don't know where you're located, but you should definitely get in touch with Mr. Kay C. Young down in Mechanicsville, VA about this. Of all the shooters/gunsmiths I have ever met Kay C. knows more about 37's better than most. And if you do, tell him I said "hi".

Dave Shattuck

Back