barrel breakin not breakin-worsening/

rogn

Ive been trying to get up and running with a 6x44. New barrel 1:8, respectable maker, 27" cut rifled. Smithed by a most respectable firm. Using H4350 and VV N160 w/ Berger hybrids. Fire 1 clean , times three; then fire 3 then clean repeat..... The groups are 2 shot groups and the copper fouling seems to be getting worse the more Ive shot it. Ive fired about 30 rounds thus far, cleaned w/Boretch and follow the last few w/ JB. a few shots and the bore appears misted in copper, rather than heavily streaked. Patches are easily passed thru the bore w/O resistance, but they are REALLY BLUE! Have I got an exotic SS garden stake, or is there some hope? Meanwhile I think Ill exchange the JB for some J&B.

I suggest you consider a very light bore lap using a non embedding 800 grit compound (Brownells), about 25 full strokes from the chamber end followed by Koil then JB bore paste, another 25 strokes with a very tight patch followed by Koil till it comes clean.

This has worked for me on 25 Cal premium cut rifled barrels.

It also worked for me on a couple of cheap barrels. With these I had to start with a 600 grit compound.

Also double check your muzzle. It must be a true cut.

Good Luck

A cut rifle barrel will not be broken in until around 50 rounds. It's like seasoning a cast iron skillet. It takes a bit more time than a lapped button rifle barrel. Just work with it.

Ive been trying to get up and running with a 6x44. New barrel 1:8, respectable maker, 27" cut rifled. Smithed by a most respectable firm. Using H4350 and VV N160 w/ Berger hybrids. Fire 1 clean , times three; then fire 3 then clean repeat..... The groups are 2 shot groups and the copper fouling seems to be getting worse the more Ive shot it. Ive fired about 30 rounds thus far, cleaned w/Boretch and follow the last few w/ JB. a few shots and the bore appears misted in copper, rather than heavily streaked. Patches are easily passed thru the bore w/O resistance, but they are REALLY BLUE! Have I got an exotic SS garden stake, or is there some hope? Meanwhile I think Ill exchange the JB for some J&B.
When you clean, if you are not completely removing the copper each time you are not doing it right.

Mild abrasives like JB or Iosso only clean what is on the surface not what is in the micro-inclusions. Use something like Sweets or Barnes CR-10.

On each cleaning, clean till you see no blue at all on the patches. Make sure you are not confusing bluing that comes from a brass brush.

Many shooters pour something like MX, SC or Butches on the brush itself. All you are doing here is eating up the brush. Apply the solvent to the bore with patches and let it soak for a few minutes.

When you finish each cleaning, the bore is now very dry. Wet it slightly with something like NAPA lock-eez or Stan Buchtels Graphoil.

Just gonna add what an old benchrest shooter told me once when I asked about Sweets and copper, "Sweets works in the barrel, not in the jar" meaning don't be stingy with it. He would swab it through with enough to get a drip out the end of the barrel, let it sit for 7 min and then patch out. Seemed to be all that was needed, also taught me to clean with a brush and Ballistol after the Sweets treatment to ensure that it was completely removed from the barrel.

Back