Ballistics software

D

dasher john

Hello all-
I'm new to this game and will be shooting a 6 Dasher at 1000 yards. Is a ballistics software program something I should invest in? If so, your input on which brand would be helpful.

Thanks,
John

If you have cheap/easy access to the web, JBM Ballistic Calculator is pretty good, and free:

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.0.cgi

If you are looking for something to take to the range with you... a cheap used Palm PDA with a b&w screen off eBay for $50-75, a copy of Exbal and a good weather meter like the Kestrel 4000 (does wind speed, barometric pressure, temperature, density altitude if you're into that) can be *very* useful. I have a similar setup and find it handy for plugging in the conditions - temp, pressure, wind speed and angle at a given range to help me get on target as quickly as possible. There are some ballistics solutions for Windows based smart-phones and such (Exbal again, Field Firing Solution, etc.), and some slick looking ones coming out for the iPhone/iPod Touch (Ballistic).

HTH,

Monte

5.11 HRT Watch

Try a 5.11 HRT watch. I've used the Titanium one for a few years. Works great with a little practice.

Since the battery lasts for years and the watch is waterproof, it overcomes the primary concerns I have with PDA based solutions.

You may want to opt for the field-ops version without the analog hands. The hands sometimes get in the way from getting a reading of the digital display.

Patrick

It sure isn't. You'll have plenty of time to fire sighters and it's always the same distance!!

I have tried several and settled on the NightForce software on an HP IPAQ PDA.

For what it's worth, Exbal and Nightforce are the same software. Exbal just having more choices.

Thanks

Thanks to all who replied. I checked out the free programs and found some interesting things. It sounds like it is not a must have item but something to tinker with after I get my feet wet. I do have a Windows based PDA that could be used for it. There is a lot to learn so for now I'll just focus on getting on to that 42" square of paper! Hope to meet some of you during the upcoming season.

John

Back