Ballistic Tips Vs. Sierra Pro Hunters

C

CWPINST

This is not a "which is most effective" question, but rather one on accuracy. I love both of these bullets, with the Ballistic Tip being my favorite, but I have seen rifles (mine and others) that simply would not shoot them well. However, for some reason those rifles tended to LOVE the Sierra Pro Hunter. I have always wondered why this was the case? Perhaps, those rifles have a slightly larger bore. I have also seen rifles that shot both bullets well. When I help others work up a load and have difficulty with the NBT, I immediately try a few loads with the Pro Hunters. It usually works unless there are mechanical issues. Have any of you experienced this?

I've seen the same thing in my 270 Win

I love ballistic tips. They really do a number on the small whitetails and in most of my rifles shoot like match bullets. However I recently got a 270 Win rebarreled and couldn't get my 130 gr ballistic tips to shoot worth a darn. Switched to Speer flat bases and the groups closed right up. Hornady flat bases do just as well. I bet the Sierras would work good too, but haven't tried them. I'm thinking the bore is a little bigger and the flat bases obturate to give a better fit. Oh well the bullets are cheaper and the deer are still dead.

most guns are like a woman. you have to feed her what she likes

DD

Measure..

The diameters of both bullets. I bet you find the Sierra's are right on the money, while some of the Noslers, particularly their "hunting" bullets (not necessarily the match or the varmint ones) may tend to run a few ten thousandths under stated diameter. This could make a difference with some barrels. I went a "round" with Nosler over this, no positive results at all... it seems to me that if they're going to charge through the nose for "premium" bullets, the least they could do would be to hold a consistent and proper diameter. But I am wrong and Nosler is right, you see.... something about SAAMI specs and a "good enough" mentality, I guess. Oh well.

Paul Box at Sierra bullets told me this can happen if your crown is just a little off. He said the flat bases will shoot great, but the boattails won't group. It has something to do with the hot gases behind the bullet and the way they exit behind the bullet relative to the crown.

Back