Attack of the 40X

32paperholes

New guy here. Hello! I just joined a 22 bench rest shooting club. I thought I had a nice CZ to compete. Found out I was in way over my head. Most of the guys are using the 40X. One of the members wants to sell me a Sako Finnfire with Lilja barrell, Don Stith benchrest stock, a Jewell trigger and a Weaver 36X scope. Can this Sako keep up with all those 40Xes? Thanks (22lr, 50 yards)

Good Luck

Hi 32paperholes,
Welcome to the forum.
Your post brings a smile to my face, it reminds me of myself when I started shooting bench rest.
Some fellows shoot the CZ with good results and the Sako you described has all the hallmarks of a good BR gun.
I would recommend shooting the Sako, I’m sure the owner won’t mind.
Shoot five shot groups and put a hundred rounds down range.
What you will most likely find is a top notch rifle.
Don’t worry if the groups are a little large at first, with lots of practice they will get smaller.
Good luck.

Bob

This is my third year of shooting 22 rimfire benchrest. And lucky enough to have shot most all major events multiple times.
Ask yourself why is the gun for sale and the member not using it himself?
Do test the gun.
Is the trigger pull satisfactory?
Good groups using decent ammo achievable?
Can it shoot a satisfying score?
And If you’re a novice and unsure of your abilities have the member show you the rifles capabilities.
IMO purchasing the best gun you can afford from the get go is the only way to go. Don’t “work your way up”.
For no other reason than to see what other competitors are using go to the professional shooting league website. Look under results. In the results is listed the equipment list of the shooters. And please don’t think because the league name has professional in the title voodoo is involved.
Rimfire benchrest.... barrels and ammo. Barrels and ammo. Barrels and ammo.

New guy here. Hello! I just joined a 22 bench rest shooting club. I thought I had a nice CZ to compete. Found out I was in way over my head. Most of the guys are using the 40X. One of the members wants to sell me a Sako Finnfire with Lilja barrell, Don Stith benchrest stock, a Jewell trigger and a Weaver 36X scope. Can this Sako keep up with all those 40Xes? Thanks (22lr, 50 yards)

There is a reason for most using a 40X, easiest factory rifle to modify. Upgrade triggers, barrels, stocks.......... or they just cannot afford a Winchester 52D. Seriously however, it sounds like its an unlimited type of match, your CZ is not in the same league with any 40X, much less one that has been modified to shoot BR. A factory 40X can and will compete, as will a 52D Winchester ( not many trigger options available however ) The advantage of the 40X is all the available options. I have multiples of both as well as a Custom BR rifle. Would not bother me to use any of them at a match. The Sako is no joke, it is a serious contender, I have only shot one and I was impressed for awhile. Personally, I would hold out for a 40X, they hold their value and can be put back to factory specs if need be.

FYI there is a really nice 40X in the classifieds right here on BRC ( not mine ) but the owner is a serious BR shooter and could give you some valuable insight.

http://benchrest.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=11528

George

Last edited:
Or buy a full custom rifle the first time and beat up on the 40 x’s . Because like most of us we wasted tons of money working our way up

This is my third year of shooting 22 rimfire benchrest. And lucky enough to have shot most all major events multiple times.
Ask yourself why is the gun for sale and the member not using it himself?

More internet lore???
There are many, many reasons why guns come and go and I have knowledge and first hand experience aout more than a few quality guns sold through the classified section of this forum alone, I would not discount the fact that good guns can be found with due diligence at fair prices.
Look at George's example( somebody with real world experience) above.
Within the last year alone, I have bought a top flight rifle, from a top smith with few rounds fired, on thie classifids here, simply because (age old story) the guy that just finished building it needed cash more than the gun .

Last edited:
More internet lore???
There are many, many reasons why guns come and go and I have knowledge and first hand experience aout more than a few quality guns sold through the classified section of this forum alone, I would not discount the fact that good guns can be found with due diligence at fair prices.
Look at George's example( somebody with real world experience) above.
Within the last year alone, I have bought a top flight rifle, from a top smith with few rounds fired, on thie classifids here, simply because (age old story) the guy that just finished building it needed cash more than the gun .

Guess what, I agree with Tim on this.

Keep checking the Classifieds

In the near future I will be putting up for sale here in the classifieds my Eck smithed, Stiller 2500X, Rock Creek, TMBR stocked 10.5 lb class rifle (The UnCalfee). The reason it will be up for sale is I have retired from competitive shooting. Someone will be getting a real good one. I just hope whoever buys it realizes just how good it is.

I'm considering buying a Anschutz 1710. Am I wasting my money? All the 40Xs available are pretty well used, and to make them competitive, you'd have to replace the barrel and add some other gunsmithing work. All that adds up.

Last edited:
I'm considering buying a Anschutz 1710. Am I wasting my money? All the 40Xs available are pretty well used, and to make them competitive, you'd have to replace the barrel and add some other gunsmithing work. All that adds up.

Yes, you will be wasting money if you want to compete. It is a nice sporter, but not a competition gun for benchrest. I would be watching for the one just mentioned above.

Trust us, the old adage of buy once cry once has never been more applicable than in this game. It doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive, but you will have to pay for a gun that is proven. It is worth every penny and you will save money in the long and short run for sure.

It's, maybe, OK for club level shooting but not for any sanctioned match shooting.

I'm having difficulty logging In/Registering for the Classifieds. If/when I can get that straightened out, I will post my 10.5 lb benchrest rifle for sale. Thanks for your patience.

Rifle Listed

My rifle is currently listed in the Classifieds. Thanks Elmer! - Sold.

Last edited:
Yes, you will be wasting money if you want to compete. It is a nice sporter, but not a competition gun for benchrest. I would be watching for the one just mentioned above.

Trust us, the old adage of buy once cry once has never been more applicable than in this game. It doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive, but you will have to pay for a gun that is proven. It is worth every penny and you will save money in the long and short run for sure.

The one I'm looking at is not a sporter but is the GRS hybrid with the 23 inch barrel and two stage trigger.

The answer would be the same. If you plan on competing at anything past casual club level you're undergunned .

Back