ar-15 grease

4 Buck

Just bought an ar-15 a few months back and was reading how people use grease on the bolt and not oil. If so where/how much do you apply???

Thanks

i only use oil. an AR is already a filthy hard to clean action, without having to scrub dirty grease out of it. just my opinion.

Thats what i also use. They were stating that the grease doesnt collect as much dirt/dust etc....as the oil did. just curious what everyone is doing???

AR15 Grease Lube

I use grease on my AR bolt. Haven't had any problems in 10+ years. I use lubriplate.

pwiz

AR lube

Army Rangers use nothing but CLP "Breakfree": good enough for me: have not had a lube problem in over 13 years.

I read somewhre, a guy was using Marvel mystery oil, so I gave it a try. Liked it a lot and makes the cleaning very easy.

I use CLP also. I haven't taken my AR apart and cleaned or lubed it in over 2 years with a few thousand rounds through it. Just pull a Boresnake through once in a while. Never had a failure to feed, fire, or eject. Accuracy remains excelent though not in the same class as you BR shooters. It will do 10 shots, rapid fire, with a reddot sight into a 3" bullseye at 100 yds. Makes a great coyote rifle.

Rob

AR's like oil and M-14 and M1A use grease. The important part is that the AR needs lubricant. One person talks about using everything from Vagisil to motor oil with acceptable results. My experence is to keep the gun well lubricated and you will have few problems. I am a LE trainer and see a lot of AR's. I think grease traps a lot of dirt but have not seen any more failures with rifles lubed with grease then oil. Colt recommends oil and that is good enougth for me.

Super Lube Spray gets my nod as h-bar mentioned.
Field stripped-spray bolt/carrier/inside upper-reasemble
1000's of rounds later 90% of the powder residue can be wiped away by hand during the next field stripping.

Here's the facts: The M-16 and M-16 A1 use LSA lubricant on the bolt and bolt carrier. In the late 1960's, when some dick-headed brainiac on Robert McNamara's staff decided they could save a couple bucks by switching from DuPont stick powder to (I don't know who's) ball powder, the M-16 began to fail constantly. The LSA lubricant keeps the fouling soft enough so that the rifle will continue to function (after a fashion). The consistency of LSA is not that of a typical "grease". The closest thing I can think of that is similar in texture and viscosity is Lee sizing lub.

Oh, and if anyone wants to argue about anything I have written above... stuff it! In 1968, 1969, and 1970 I logged 4,917 flying hours in III Corp. Cu Chi was my home. The Mushroom, Iron Triangle, Michelin Rubber Plantation, Hobo Woods, Nui Ba Den, and my personal favorite #10 place Tan Bien were all in my AO. During that time I recovered far too many body bags, accompanied by muddy and bloody web-gear and a jammed M-16. The M-16 was a poor excuse for battlefield a weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im leary-You forgot to mention the lack of chrome lined barrels. Even an ak47 will jam if you put it through what the early m16 went through. There was also some hair brained notion that the m16 didn't need to be cleaned. If you add these two factors on top of the ball powders(like winchester748) even an ak will jam. I own both an ak and an ar. Practicing proper hygiene on your weapon can turn out to be a matter of life and death. If your life depends on the firearm you clean it. Some guys paid with their live for not doing just that.

h-bar,

You know your M16 history. You are 100% correct on all counts.

All I can say is, I hope there is a special place in hell for Robert McNamara and all of his Whiz Kids.

And if some of you think I'm bitter... your probably right. But before you judge too harshly, ask yourself how you would feel if it were your job to pick up all the wasted lives that were spent to feed his monumental ego. It took a long time for the Whiz Kids to see a problem that was all to clear to the people who were there. If they had only listened...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back