Anyone using the Sinclair competition rest?

zanemoseley

Been trying to find a front rest to use with my Edgewood rear bag. Some matches around here don't allow 1 piece rests so figured I would get a 2 piece setup then go from there. I found the Sinclair competition rests with all purpose top on GB for $410 delivered and they are normally $665 plus shipping. I bought one but not sure about the all purpose top. I'm curious what top you guys like to use on yours. I've seen I can buy the BR top on Sinclair's, that with an Edgewood bag is about $160. I'm also looking at the Greenlaw.

Have also thought of adding a Shadetree coax top but they're $400 delivered, for $1200 I could get a Neo to go along with the Sinclair so would have 2 types of rests to play with.

Have 2 friends that use them

Have shot from both, they function as well as my JJ. As I get older (84) weight becomes an issue when setting up and
moving rotation.

Rest top

Been trying to find a front rest to use with my Edgewood rear bag. Some matches around here don't allow 1 piece rests so figured I would get a 2 piece setup then go from there. I found the Sinclair competition rests with all purpose top on GB for $410 delivered and they are normally $665 plus shipping. I bought one but not sure about the all purpose top. I'm curious what top you guys like to use on yours. I've seen I can buy the BR top on Sinclair's, that with an Edgewood bag is about $160. I'm also looking at the Greenlaw.

Have also thought of adding a Shadetree coax top but they're $400 delivered, for $1200 I could get a Neo to go along with the Sinclair so would have 2 types of rests to play with.

Talk to Dan Greenlaw. He has a nice windage top. Fits Protector bags better than a Bald Eagle.

The Sinclair Competition with an Edgewood bag is an excellent front rest. BUT, it weighs 30 pounds. Too heavy for an old guy, so I sold mine. I used the Sinclair windage top. I have also used a Greenlaw top on a Bald Eagle front rest. The Greenlaw is very nice, the Bald Eagle not so nice. My current two piece setup uses a Sinclair Heavy Varmint with an Edgewood bag and a Protektor Tracker rear bag. My favorite rest is the PQP Lite one piece.

Regards, Jim

Last edited:
I'm 37 and in good shape so weight doesn't matter. I'll see how the AP top works and go from there. The standard Sinclair BR top with an Edgewood bag would be the cheapest route as long as the base itself has enough windage & elevation.

Last edited:
I'm 37 and in good shape so weight doesn't matter. I'll see how the AP top works and go from there. The standard Sinclair BR top with an Edgewood bag would be the cheapest route as long as the base itself has enough windage & elevation.

The above indicates your Sinclair Comp BR has the windage feature. If so, I can assure you it has enough windage to cover a typical RFBR target at 50yds. I have one I bought before I started shooting sanctioned and still have it. When I started shooting IR50/50 I purchased an extra standard top and post. The original standard top had a 3" bag and the extra one carried a Sporter bag. Later on I bought a standard Dan Greenlaw adjustable top, no need for the windage top, and it is still mounted on the rest. I no longer use it in IR, upgraded to a different rest, but I kept it and still use it for other purposes other than competition.

I am 62, but the weight is still manageable. Weighs about the same as my Arnold 1pc...as mentioned already, 30lbs.

I need to correct what I said about my Competition rest top. In used the standard Competition top, no windage adjustment. The base has more than enough windage and elevation adjustment for any target I have shot at 50 yards.

Regards, Jim

I'm 37 and in good shape so weight doesn't matter. I'll see how the AP top works and go from there. The standard Sinclair BR top with an Edgewood bag would be the cheapest route as long as the base itself has enough windage & elevation. kipas guys

It's important that I clarify a previous statement I made about my Competition rest top. We utilized a regular Competition cap without changing the windage. When shooting from 50 yards, the base provides more than enough windage and elevation adjustability.

Remember when buying... It's been years since Bald Eagle has really been Bald Eagle... Bill Gephartd sold to Grizzly a number of years back and some precision machining was lost in the exchange. a cast base is pretty much a cast base, but a windage top for shooting matches is not somewhere that you want to skimp out.

I use a 1" aluminum base plate in place of the steel one and it dropped the weight to 22 lb. plus i have many rest tops for it works great with Butch's top also.... jim

I use a 1" aluminum base plate in place of the steel one and it dropped the weight to 22 lb. plus i have many rest tops for it works great with Butch's top also.... jim

I've done a few also like that. I see nothing wrong with the Grizzly Bald Eagle base, but I care little for the speedometer cable horizontal adjuster.

Butch, I don't either but but with Sinclair base i have more windage and elevation and get it centered before using your rest adjustments. Works for me..... A has been.... jim

Back