Anybody tried one yet?

T

tylerw02

.22-6.5x47 Lapua?

Should have better bbl life than 22-243 or 22-6mm in theory. Might be something different than the 22-250/220 Swift to have fun with.

Hyper vel .224" wildcat

Tyler -

I have always held, that the 22-243 and similar high-capacity .224s are TOO big ( too inefficient ).

I looked at many possbile .224" hyper-velocity cases over the years.

Back in 1975, I designed my own .224" wildcat.

It was the .35Rem necked down to .224" cal, w/ a mild 26* shoulder angle.

I even wrote P.O. Ackley about my wildcat, and got a nice letter back in response. HE said that it should make " a good case ".

With a 24" 1-14 5-groove SS Hart barrel, I got 3,690fps from 55gr SX Hornady over 41.2gr WW760, or 42.6gr VV160 ( both over Fed LR Magnum Match
primer ).

Same case chambered in a 28" K & P 1-8 5-groove stainless got me 3,420fps ( accuracy load ) w/ a 75gr "A"-Max over 40.5gr AA3100 and Fed LR match primer.

This was an efficient case, matching 22-250AI velocities w/ less powder.
I shot the 1-14 twist barrel for over 25yr, before I ever had a bullet keyhole. That was over 3,400rnds through the barrel.

I'm convinced a larger capcioty .224" cal case woudlnot last as long, or be more accurate. Any higher velocites one might see over the 22-35 wildcat I designed would only come at the expense of burning excess powder qunatities; and ultimately would lower obtainable barrel life.

I have gone on to use of a new 6mm wildcat, of my oin design.
As a result, my 22-35 case forming and reload dies; and chamebr & re-size remaers are for sale. I also have the opld 1-14 take-off barrel, which is used to fire form cases ( saves life on the " good " barrel )

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Regards,
.357Mag

Been done for decades.

Essentially, you have a 22/250AI with a 30deg shoulder.

Jerry

Tyler,
I've sort of built one.
A friend with a 223 Savage BVSS wanted something a bit better for no money. It cost him the price of a new bolt-head.
Ran in a 22 Dasher reamer a bit longer into the existing barrel - just enough to take out the 223 chamber and cut a new neck. Couldn't cut the barrel too much as we would have lost the threads for the barrel-nut.
It is very accurate - well worth while, though case-forming from the superb 6.5x47 Lapua brass is a bit time consuming.
It's great out 600 yards and he's even shot it at 1000 yds.
Cheers
Vince (UK)

.22X47 Lapua

I'm in the process of putting a .22X47 Lapua together. I'm in contact with PTG on a no-turn reamer and plan to head over to Bruno's this afternoon to pickup a barrel. I was able to cobble together a dummy round using my 6X47L and .22BR dies. Don't know if this will be a satisfactory long term case forming procedure or not, but it'll get me started. I also have a couple of .22/250AI barrels that I'll probably set back later. Vic

If you would, let me know how it develops. I'd like to see your accuracy and velocities.

Back