Any scope ideas ?

H

Hartmanmf

I have a Rem 7.62 XBR with a Fecker 15x scope. I shoot mostly 100 yds. ( club range max ) with consistant .500 groups but plan on going farther out soon. I know there are a million newer scopes out there but I'm looking for an informed opinion not just some advertisement. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thankx, Mike

If the sole purpose for the scope is to be shooting groups at the range, an argument could be made that the type of scopes that are currently being used in benchrest competition would be suitable. Are there any matches in your area? The reason that I ask is that, at least around here, the day before the match, and sometimes two, shooters are preparing for the match, tuning their rifles, and might let you take a look through their scopes, so that you could have some basis for making a judgment about what you might like. Personally, I have shot a 36x scope that has an booster lens on the eyepiece that raises the magnification to perhaps 42X or so, and I like this arrangement. If you have never shot a scope of this magnification or higher, they take some getting used to, but once you do, I believe that the broad consensus is that they offer an advantage over lower those with lower magnification, for shooting groups from the bench. The next question has to do with budget. Satisfactory work is done with some of the lower priced scopes in this category, Weaver and Sightron. Taking a step up in cost, the Leupold Competition scopes have their adherents, from there it gets fairly pricey with the March scopes costing over two grand. If you are not concerned with weight limits required for competition, NIghtforce is always a good option. The older style variable, benchrest model that has the adjustable objective is what I prefer, or you may find the new side focus 15-55 of interest. All of the scopes that I have mentioned are capable of producing good results. Your selection will depend on your budget and the details of how you plan on using it. If weight were no consideration, and the budget allowed, I would take a look at this http://www.allnightforce.com/product-p/nbr124256.htm or this http://www.allnightforce.com/product-p/nfc155552sctr1.htm
,but if the budget does not allow, I would recommend one of these. http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...scope Fine Crosshair Reticle Matte w/Sunshade

I have a Rem 7.62 XBR with a Fecker 15x scope. I shoot mostly 100 yds. ( club range max ) with consistant .500 groups but plan on going farther out soon. I know there are a million newer scopes out there but I'm looking for an informed opinion not just some advertisement. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thankx, Mike

1) Are we supposed to presume that you're wondering if your Fecker 15x is inadequate for "farther out"?

2) If the answer to the above is "yes", then you won't know until you try it.

Bill, that's why I was asking around ... I really don't want to try everything out there ... The Fecker is 50 years old and although it is an excellent scope for 100 to 200 yards, it starts to lose a bit beyond that. Also the crosshairs are quite large and not easily changed.

Tiny, thankx a ton for some excellent info. I was looking at the Nightforce but it sounds like the Leupold might be worth a try ... and for a lot less $$$. I think with some newer optics my groups could get a little tighter. ???

/Users/michaelhartman/Desktop/IMG_6009.jpg

Mike,

For the same money as a Leupold fixed power you can get a Sightron SIII 10x50. I'm very pleased with mine and it compares favorably to some higher priced NF and March that I've looked through at my range. And it's handy to have the variable power. At 100 yards I'm using anywhere from about 30x to 50x; it's clear and reasonably bright, thanks to the 60mm objective.

Dennis

Thankx for a lot of great info guys. I will post when I decide.

If you go here http://www.international-benchrest.com/ and look under "Results/Rankings", you can get to match reports in different disciplines.

In them, you'll see scores and equipment lists.

It's not hard from there to correlate the top shooters with their equipment and see what bubbles to the top. You'll find some regional differences. It's something of a popularity contest...correlation does not imply causation. It also might not reflect your needs versus those of hard core competition.

FWIW, Greg J.

Back