Anschutz

C.L. Peterson

Any one with experience with 22 rimfire Anschutz 54.30 and the BR50-U7 stock.
Pro/Cons
Availability
Where to buy

Thanks
CLP

At $37xx.00 you could have a custom built br rifle done up by a smith that really knows the ins and outs, course this would not be a over night or next week thing. Not saying the the Annie isn't a good rifle , but it is a production unit you might get lucky with. An acquaintance purchased a Annie BR unit a couple years ago. He is meticulous in sorting things out- but wasn't doing any better with it than what I was doing with my re-barrelled 40x (Gene Davis barrel/installed 17 twist) , modified oem stock, Kelby Trigger,and a tuner at about 1/2 the cost. Other than the barrel and install of same rest is my own handy work. SEB rest up front bag in back, Center X or Eley black box ammo what ever I can get - no lot picking ain't got deep enough pockets for that. just my 2 cents worth less inflation. We shoot on a real mean range it is bowl in configuration nasty drafts, twitching and thermals now made worse by the newly installed baffle boards. I feel really great if I can get through a card and only lose 1 or 2 points course the driver might be the fault:D

Last edited:
"Annie's"

Just wondering if the "Annies" were competitive in ARA or IR 50/50 matches ?
What % of shooters shoot "Annies" ?
Whats the most popular "Annie" model at matches ?

Looking for information

Thanks for your response Blades

Thanks for your time
CLP

Last edited:

Looking for information

Thanks for your time
CLP

Very few. You are almost never going to see any factory gun at anything above club level matches.

Looking for information

Thanks for your time
CLP

One shooter has had continued success with an Annie. Albeit all his Annie’s are rebarrelled!
That shooter has what seems like an unattainable number ARA HOF points.
As Tim stated Annie’s are pretty much regulated to club shooters.
If you wish to attend the shoots which attract those willing to travel you’ll see few if any sitting on a rest.
We have more than one shooter at the local club shooting Annie’s. They simply do not compete with the Turbo’s, Hole Shot Arms, and 10X actions with barrels chambered by a reliable Smith sitting in a properly bedded benchrest stock.

Annie

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
I will start gathering components for a build.
Discouraging at times looking for components which are unavailable today.
Good news is I have all winter to gather parts for build.
CLP

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
I will start gathering components for a build.
Discouraging at times looking for components which are unavailable today.
Good news is I have all winter to gather parts for build.
CLP

It is,perhaps, worth a mention....or two.
If you’ve decided to go “all in” on a build that’s way better than a factory gun that’s going to frustrate the hell out of you. First, IMHO, find the gunsmith for the job and he’ll hopefully help steer your decisions.
Most guys that actually know what they’re doing will tell you what to buy and why and frankly that is every bit as critical as how.
Frankly, few newbies have great success right out of the box for many reasons, call friends, check sources, talk to folks, review classifieds, and look for a well maintained, used gun to buy.
The thought that only 2nd rate or problem guns come up for sale is BS and you will be farther ahead and way less $ that you can apply toward quality ammo and practice.
I don’t know how long you are going to compete but I guarantee you, this is the best advice you’re going to get in a long time. You have 2 good choices here to ponder, I’d gowith the 2nd.
I have had some pretty good success at this for over 20 years and I bought a pretty good low mileage gun right off these classifieds within the last year.

Going through this right now. I have a 1913 and wanted to try BR. Shot it for a bit in the 3p stock then decided to get a Stith stock and have it bedded by Alex Stitman (sp). Put a tuner on it also. It has shot ok. In ARA I can be around 1900 to 2150 with best score of 2250.

Decided I wanted to shoot BR seriously so contacted a known Smith and he told me what to get. Lead times are not nice for stocks and action I want. If you are serious about this sport get a custom rifle built. An Annie will be ok but not where you want to get. Will be more frustration than not.

A 2500x ready to go just came up for sale on another site. The work was all done by reputable people.
It is priced to sell.

Back