Anschutz Match 64?

P

pepperbelly

I have been looking for a good .22 rifle that I can afford. i found an Anscutz Match 64 for $350.00. It is described as follows:

J. G. Anschutz, model “Match 64”, .22 long rifle, excellent bore, excellent bluing, globe front sight, Anschutz Olympic target rear sight, adjustable trigger, Olympic style stock, fore end adjustable sling swivel, adjustable butt plate, stock has minor scratches and dings, overall condition very good. $350.00

I was thinking about a CZ American .22 but think now that I can always get one, and I have a 10/22 that has a scope that I can shoot sillouette matches with. I am also thinking that this is too good of a price on an Anschutz to pass up.

Is it too good to pass on?

Jim

I used to have a model Match 64. My brother inlaw has it now. I really liked the stock for for standing position. It may have been assembled by Savage, if it's an older model. $350 is a good price. The sights cost more than that now.

Is it easy to install a scope later if I wanted to?

Jim

I have a CZ Varmint and and Anschutz Match 64 so I can offer you some info. Both are great guns but, if you are going to shoot benchrest, I'd reccomend the Anschutz. Trigger on the '64 is great. CZ 453 has a verygood set trigger but, you must buy a replacement trigger for the 452. The Varmint barrel is too short for tuner to help (on mine anyways) and "I think" the American has short heavy barrel too. Tuner is nice upgrade on my Match 64 and helps accuracy. My Match 64 had definately been "around the block" a time or 2 so I had it re-crowned and re-chambered (neither very expensive). Adding a home made benchrest block so it sit firm in rest and I have a competitor.

My CZ is fun and is going to be my silhoette gun.

Best of luck

Thanks Regis.
From your post the CZ sounds like it would be good if I add upgrades. The Anschutz should be good to go as is- right?
I have a 10/22 I could play with on sillouette and I can upgrade the barrel, stock and trigger on it.
I don't know if a single shot rifle would be a problem or not in sillouette matches. I would hate to pass up a really nice rifle at a good price.

Jim

Does it take Weaver rings? I have some Leupold rings for a weaver style base.
I may have found a Weaver T-36 scope at a decent price locally. It might be a good match for the rifle.

Jim

Anschutz 64

Don`t even think twice, buy the Annie and don`t look back!!
You could set back the chamber and recrown but chances are it will outshoot the cz as is. I would attach a 3" wide piece of aluminum to the accessory rail to help you ride the bags better, scope it and see if it will shoot. This is exactly how my first BR (Anschutz match 64) gun was set up.
Jeff

Does it take Weaver rings? I have some Leupold rings for a weaver style base.
I may have found a Weaver T-36 scope at a decent price locally. It might be a good match for the rifle.

Jim

Yes, a T-36 is a very good match, especially with fine crosshairs. Be sure to get high rings. The 3" wide aluminum block that Jeff mentioned would probably be better than the delrin block I have. It may sound funny but, the "T" bolts that are used to hold a toilet down (with little filing) fit the groove in the Anschuts forestock (as well as Remingtons). That makes it easy to attach the block.

Next would be to find a good deal on the best rest in your budget unless you already have one.

I agree with "scope it and shoot it" You will be pleasantly supprised.

Regis

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note: The 64 action only has one bolt locking lug, just like the Savage MK II's.
The 54 action is more desirable because of the dual locking lugs.

The Annie will give you a great start on BR. In addition depending on the particular vintage of 64 you might be able to use it for Silly wet also. Heavy rifle class weight max 10lbs 2 oz max, as long as the stock is not the fish belly type. I perfer single loading vs clips for this (seems like I always have a clip decide to disgorge itself at the wrong time). Dovetail on reciever is 11mm, there are adapter blocks available so you can use weaver style rings (about $10 for the blocks). Triggers can be adjusted and break cleanly with out creep, though I do not know if you can get below a 1lb with it. Your 10/22 if stock and not over 8lbs can be used for hunter/ sporter class. The weaver t36 is a good way to go, and can also be used in sillywet, as it is capable of focus down to 50ft.
If your area is shooting hunter sillywet scope power is limited to 6.5 ( can be a variable as long as it is set to 6.5 or less)
Have fun, that's whole point.

Anschutz really covers all the bases. For example I shoot a 1710 which is a sporter (magazine fed) 54 action heavy barrel. I always shoot it single shot off the bench, but I could just as easily use the magazine for shooting silhouette.
Knowing what I know now, I could have saved all that time and money trying to get several brands of sporters to shoot and just bite the bullet for the 1710 once, and be done with it.

I ordered the model Match 64 today and told the seller of the scope I will take it.

$350.00 plus shipping for the rifle and $300.00 for the scope. I hope I can afford some ammo after.

Jim

You got a great bargain. The receiver is grooved for 11mm clamp on style scope bases/rings. Every 64 action I've ever seen is also drilled and tapped for Weaver #91 bases (I've heard that #15 bases will also work) so you can use Weaver style scope mounts. For extra magazines (very pricey $$) or a single shot adaptor go to Champion Shooter's Supply. There is a regular forum on Anschutz rifles over on RimFireCentral.Com.

Mounting Bench Rest Block

I have a CZ Varmint and and Anschutz Match 64 so I can offer you some info. Both are great guns but, if you are going to shoot benchrest, I'd reccomend the Anschutz. Trigger on the '64 is great. CZ 453 has a verygood set trigger but, you must buy a replacement trigger for the 452. The Varmint barrel is too short for tuner to help (on mine anyways) and "I think" the American has short heavy barrel too. Tuner is nice upgrade on my Match 64 and helps accuracy. My Match 64 had definately been "around the block" a time or 2 so I had it re-crowned and re-chambered (neither very expensive). Adding a home made benchrest block so it sit firm in rest and I have a competitor.

My CZ is fun and is going to be my silhoette gun.

Best of luck

Hi RegisG,
Did you mount your bench rest block on to the 64 rail?
If so, what did you mount the block with? Did you get the mounting bits from Anchuts?
My grandson uses the 64 for prone and bench rest so been thinking of adding a bench rest block for him.

ruger1022- cheap a way to make the t bolt for the rail is a bolt of a dia. that fits the open slot then it's a matter of grinding/filing down the sides and thickness of the bolt head to fit the t slot sides. A 1/2 height nut to fit the bolt counter sunk into the br plate so things can be locked in place. length of bolt vs thickness of your br plate. I have used scraps of 3/4" plywood for these in the past. 3" wide or a bit less and 4-6" long should get you going. You do not want the nut or bolt protruding beyond/ into the plate /bag contact area.

Back