Anschutz Factory Barrel Flyer Question

G

GeoNLR

Posting this for a friend...

I have a friend with a 17XX series rifle that has been restocked w/ a carbon fiber stock that has been bedded and pillared.

He noticed recently that his first shot at 50 yards was about 1.5" off. The remainder of the 4 shots would go into the same hole. He tested it further out and the problem persisted, but the distance from the group got further, the further out he got...

Knowns ...

The barreled action is a shooter, never seen this before

same ammo, no changes

My thoughts - needs a good scrub down and refouling ????

Any and all coments / suggestions welcome. Cleaning reccomends?

Thanks,

Geo

This is very common with a .22 rimfire bench gun. Usually at about 11 o'clock. More prevalent from a first shot clean barrel. But also happens with a cold barrel some. Many times if a shooter is held up on a shot for several minutes due to condition change they might shoot a fouler off the target to keep the barrel warm and shooting on. Rich

This is very common with a .22 rimfire bench gun. Usually at about 11 o'clock. More prevalent from a first shot clean barrel. But also happens with a cold barrel some. Many times if a shooter is held up on a shot for several minutes due to condition change they might shoot a fouler off the target to keep the barrel warm and shooting on. Rich

Problem is however that we can not take fouling shots. We (in silhouette) typically have to shoot (4) shots from an aprox 15 min cool down (the first shot at each animal) and (4) shots from a 1-2 min cool down?

Tsi 301

GeoNLR,

Try this. After cleaning the barrel run one patch with TSI 301 through the barrel.
Then shoot your group. In my guns this usually lets all 5 shots go into the same POI.

TSI 301 is a very high grade syn. lub. You can find it advertised in PS mag.

Hope this helps!

Rereading your first post I see you said the first shot is off 1.5 inches. Sorry I missed that as .3 to .5 inches off is what I see as common. You might try changing the action screw torque. And the TSI-301 is good. I have only been able to find it directly from the company I think in New Jersey or around there. Neal Johnson used to carry it but I don't think they have it anymore. http://www.tsi301.com/main.htm

Rich in Kansas,

Thanks for posting the link. I had just started to try and track some down and here it is.

Rick in Arizona!

Back