Anschutz Butt Plate

Harold M

I am trying to remove the adjustable butt plate apparatus from a '68 vintage Model 54 "free rifle" stock. I've removed the three wood screws along the centerline of the base plate and it doesn't come loose. Either it's stuck on with some stock finish that's seeped between the base and the wood, or there's a trick. I don't want to force it and break something. Advice?

Harold

You could try taping a single razor blade between the stock & the butte plate. My guess is just on one side should pop it lose.
I would probably just run it all around the edge first! Think score any finish between the plate an stock

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should have remembered that if everything else fails, read the manual. So, I clamped the base plate in a vice on the floor and wiggled the tip of the fore-end back and forth. This is with the piece the hook attaches to; the one with the threaded stud and the two guide pins attached to it removed, of course. A gap of a 32nd of an inch opened up (hmmmm.) and there are apparently cylinders fixed to the base plate that are a press fit into the stock. What happens after these are pulled out of the stock, I have no idea. I used the wood screws to bring the base plate back into position.

Anybody know what the newly-discovered parts are, and if I can pull them out without doing something irreversible?

Harold

Does your rifle have...

An adjustment for Length of Pull? Those two tubes might be the guides for the shafts affixed to the actual buttplate. Those shafts would keep the buttplate alignment consistent.
Just my .02 cents Canadian eh!
I'll take a picture of my setup (1913 Supermatch free rifle)

Phil Fortin aka tazzman.

The threaded part is the adjustment rod and the 2 guides are on each side of it.

Attachments

• 1913buttplate.jpg
    1913buttplate.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
The piece with the threaded rod and the two guide rods was removed when I attempted to dislodge the base plate. What I see in the gap are concentric to the two guide rods; the guide rods pass through whatever I'm seeing. What I see is apparently attached to the base plate and not the stock.

Harold

Back