Another newby question..........

1).After chambering is complete, and all runout is checked, is the setup the same to prepare for crowning......meaning are both ends of the barrel indicated in to as close to zero runout as possible using a test indicator on the lands and grooves on the muzzle end? I suppose you could indicate off the newly cut chamber on the chamber end in the outboard spider, is this assumption correct?

2).Also how is a barrel that is already tapered clamped in the chuck on that taper for crowning? Copper wire or something I presume? .

Thanks, JKM

Last edited:
1).After chambering is complete, and all runout is checked, is the setup the same to prepare for crowning......meaning are both ends of the barrel indicated in to as close to zero runout as possible using a test indicator on the lands and grooves on the muzzle end? I suppose you could indicate off the newly cut chamber on the chamber end in the outboard spider, is this assumption correct?

2).Also how is a barrel that is already tapered clamped in the chuck on that taper for crowning? Copper wire or something I presume? .

Thanks, J.Kelly Medley

1) Yes
2) Yes

-Dave-:)

The only thing I changes is........

For the chamber end, I indicate on the lands. As this is where the pilot for the reamer will ride.

On the muzzle end I indicate on the grooves as this is where the largest percentage of the bullet will bear.

It probably makes no difference, but I just do it this way.

I no longer use an 11 degree crown. I find it much easier to do a 90 degree crown and the chances of it being 100% perfect are much greater.

Thanks, J.Kelly Medley

The first thing I machine is the crown....I rough indicate the barrel with indicator rods and part off the muzzle excess, fine indicate and crown face it off, and chamfer with a sharp single point tool carefully, and check for a burr with magnifying glass/q-tip.

....for crowning and chambering.

I use a indicator pin in the outboard (spider). Direct indicate the business end on the grooves with a 10ths indicator. Short stylus for muzzle and long for chamber (throat)

This process is a combination of what many people use here...I learned it here.

Back