Another has left the range

macflyboy

Marty Childers
It is with a heavy heart and tear in my eye I have to report my shooting buddy Henry Pinkney has left the range. He was a good friend and good shooter. He shot rim fire, center fire, and air rifles. He loved to shoot. His quick wit and laughter will be sorely missed. He loved shooting his rail guns. He lived in the Bay area and worked as a body man most of his life. He shot mostly in the West, Sacramento, Visalia, and frequented many ranges in the Bay. We have lost so many great shooters in the last couple of years, it makes me take pause and count my blessings. We make some really good friends in this sport and it's difficult to see them go.

I only met Henry a couple of time both at Sniper King up here and down in Visalia. Great man and always good for a laugh.
Sorry to hear this and my heart goes out to his family.

Marty said it well. Henry was one of those shooters that made going to a benchrest match fun. We've had many of great laughs together. The last 4-5 years or so Henry become known to some of us as the super hero Elevator man. He couldn't leap a tall building in a single bound; he needed to take the elevator to the top floor to save the day. He often would tell stories about his personal life that I'm sure his family will miss him dearly; as will those of us that got to know him as a friend. RIP Henry.

Gary

I knew something was wrong when he missed the Unl. match at Sac. & I couldn't contact him. Henry was one of the guys that got me into rimfire. Lately he tried to talk me into air rifles; I said "Henry, I got enough addictions, I don't need heroin!"(and we'd both laugh). I will dearly miss him.

Truly Sad Day
He was a great friend, and his humor will be missed at the match.
He was a friend to all

Dan Lutke

I knew something was wrong when he missed the Unl. match at Sac. & I couldn't contact him. Henry was one of the guys that got me into rimfire. Lately he tried to talk me into air rifles; I said "Henry, I got enough addictions, I don't need heroin!"(and we'd both laugh). I will dearly miss himanyone he4ard of jim langdon.

I knew something was wrong when he missed the Unl. match at Sac. & I couldn't contact him. Henry was one of the guys that got me into rimfire. Lately he tried to talk me into air rifles; I said "Henry, I got enough addictions, I don't need heroin!"(and we'd both laugh). I will dearly miss himanyone he4ard of jim langdon.
has anyone heard of jim lang don he lives on hill above pheonix.

Henry was one of the shooters I looked forward to seeing at the matches. A great friend that will be missed in the shooting sport of benchrest. My prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace my friend.

I lost one of my best friends Sunday, and words cannot express the sorrow I feel that he is no longer with us.
As Francis mentioned, I knew something was wrong when he didn't respond to my text Sunday.

I first met Henry back @ 1998 at the Richmond R&G Club, I was breaking in a 22-250 Ackley I had barreled for a friend, and
I let him shoot a few with it and he was very impressed with the way it shot. He had never shot a really accurate rifle before.
One thing led to another and the next thing you know he owned the Seeley Masker built 6 PPC Panda that was my backup rifle.
He still has it, its one of his "NASCAR" guns, the black & yellow one.
As they say the hook was set and the rest was history. (He paid me back later by getting me into Rimfire)

We had many a road trip together around the west not the least of which was our annual trip to the Cactus.
For those of you who who knew Henry well you can imagine what a 12 hour road trip with him was like!
Henry had a curious brand of wisdom that most people probably didn't appreciate until they got to know him.
He would start off a trip saying something that would elicit my "thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard" response,
and then around Mojave it would start making sense, and by Kingman I would be convinced he was one of the great philosophers of our time.

Henry had his own methods when it came to shooting and never took himself to seriously.
He came out to shoot not to win, (although he did that on occasion as well) but to enjoy the companionship and friendships he had made along the way.
I don't think in the 20 plus years I knew him I ever heard anyone say a bad thing about him, and he was liked by all who knew him.

I will miss him terribly, and all our adventures together, but most of all the way he would bring me back to earth when I got to crazy.
I will cherish all the great memories and I will always be proud he was my friend.

We are truly diminished,
Greg

I lost one of my best friends Sunday, and words cannot express the sorrow I feel that he is no longer with us.
As Francis mentioned, I knew something was wrong when he didn't respond to my text Sunday.

I first met Henry back @ 1998 at the Richmond R&G Club, I was breaking in a 22-250 Ackley I had barreled for a friend, and
I let him shoot a few with it and he was very impressed with the way it shot. He had never shot a really accurate rifle before.
One thing led to another and the next thing you know he owned the Seeley Masker built 6 PPC Panda that was my backup rifle.
He still has it, its one of his "NASCAR" guns, the black & yellow one.
As they say the hook was set and the rest was history. (He paid me back later by getting me into Rimfire)

We had many a road trip together around the west not the least of which was our annual trip to the Cactus.
For those of you who who knew Henry well you can imagine what a 12 hour road trip with him was like!
Henry had a curious brand of wisdom that most people probably didn't appreciate until they got to know him.
He would start off a trip saying something that would elicit my "thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard" response,
and then around Mojave it would start making sense, and by Kingman I would be convinced he was one of the great philosophers of our time.

Henry had his own methods when it came to shooting and never took himself to seriously.
He came out to shoot not to win, (although he did that on occasion as well) but to enjoy the companionship and friendships he had made along the way.
I don't think in the 20 plus years I knew him I ever heard anyone say a bad thing about him, and he was liked by all who knew him.

I will miss him terribly, and all our adventures together, but most of all the way he would bring me back to earth when I got to crazy.
I will cherish all the great memories and I will always be proud he was my friend.

We are truly diminished,
Greg

Well said Greg, you've made me disappointed to have never met Henry he sounds like a rare sort of man.

RIP Henry and God Be With all you'se missing your friend

Greg what a wonderful tribute to your friend. I just recently lost my wife of 51 years last month and I can feel your pain. Hopefully they will both run into each other in this their new eternal home.

Henry will be missed!

He was always ready to talk and joke. You better remember what you said last time, because Henry would! Last year I was sighting in a new air rifle in my backyard. Didn't realize the power was quite as great as it was; the pellets went right through the side fence and hit my car...breaking the side window. I told Henry the story, but cautioned him, "not to tell anybody else, because I was pretty embarrassed by my foolishness." Henry assured me, he would not, but soon after I got razzed by a couple of other shooters. When I confronted Henry, he said to the effect, "well now you don't need to be embarrassed anymore." I will really miss him.

Back