American Rifleman March '08 Issue

T

tylerw02

Anybody read the article on the Savage F Class? Seems the review crew sure didn't shoot to well. A very different analysis than Shooting Times' rag from last year.

Also, Marlin's new XL7 looks like a great value! Looks to me like a Remington 700 with a different trigger, bolt and a barrel-nut added. And looks like street price will be less than $300! Maybe Remmy will get rid of their 710/770 lines for good! A guy could buy that Marlin and work the stock over or upgrade it and have a very very nice rifle for next to nothing! I wonder, is that a 700 footprint? Maybe a 700 stock would fit it.

Tyler02: I did read the article and only when I finished did I go to the "Specifications Box" to see with some alarm (a LOT of alarm) the MSRP for this Rifle at $1,193.00!
Thats a LOT of money for a savage.
But if you are saying the rig didn't shoot to well - I would relay it shot rather well with the handloads! And the other two munitions tested were factory rounds and they made 5 shot groups averaging right at 1.000". Thats pretty fair with factory ammo. Although I have had two Remington heavy barrel Rifles in 308 that shot Federal factory ammo into the 6's.
And from a distance the savage looks kind of like a Remington - which helps some.
For a 13 pound, $1,200.00 Rifle I would tend to hope it would shoot really well
and it appears to come pretty close to that.
Tyler do you think it should have shot significantly better, somewhat better, slightly better or do you have doubts about the shooter in question's abilities?
One thing the shooter DID NOT mention was the range conditions on the day he shot it. If it was a bit windy then he did pretty well - if it was dead calm the Rifle did pretty well.
Also no word if the barrel was broke in properly or cleaning cycle duration.
I think it was really neat that the savage folks offered the F Model in caliber 6.5mm/284.
But I am not spending $1,200.00 or anywhere near that for a savage. Mostly due to aesthetics and resale value.
That Marlin did have some clean lines to it though!
Hold inot the wind
VarmintGuy

Gentlmen

I would say the writer did not shoot up to the rifle's potental no matter what the reason. He might be able to write but he sure can't shoot.

I have same rifle and with Federal match ammo it groups .610. With handloads it goes into .375.

With a rifle of that quality the writer should have used better ammo, not run of the mill stuff.

Frankly, I am VERY skeptical of the 500 yd group claimed by the writer in the Shooting Times article.

BTW I paid less than $900 for mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was implying that the gentleman was not a good shooter if that was the best he could do with Fed GMM! Maybe the rifle just didn't like it, I don't know.

I've seen many a Remington/CZ/Win/Howa/Savage .308 Wins shoot much better than that out of the box for far less money with factory ammo.

I also have a hard time swallowing a few of the ST published groups. And yes, locally at the expensive shop, they are selling the 6.5-284 model for $1050. At the cheap shop, its going for $899.

That Marlin is exciting! It sure looks like a 700 receiver! If they make custom stocks for it, it may be a great action to build on!

Sorry,

VarmitGuy,

I just checked my stock of magazines and could not find the ST it was in. I believe it was March or April of 07. I think the writer claimed a 500 yard group of just under 2 inches.

Maybe somone here who is a better librarian can check it out.

the shooting time article claimed with the factory ammo

Hornady 155 0.56 at 100 1.75 at 500
CorBon 168 0.63 at 100 2.38 at 500
Federal 168 0.38 at 100 1.88 at 500
Hornady 168 0.75 at 100 1.50 at 500
CorBon 175 0.38 at 100 2.63 at 500
Federal 175 0.38 at 100 1.88 at 500

I'm not going to list the handloads because theres a dozen of them but they used 6 different bullets from 155-178 grains from sierra and hornady using lapua brass federal primers and reloader 15 and varget powder. The groups at 100 ranged from 0.25-1.44" and at 500 from 0.88-6.88".

Now I remember.....

.88 @500 yds. Give me a break!! That's the reason I am a doubting Thomas on this writer! Not saying it can't be done but not with a out of the box rifle. (IBS 600yd record is .749)

That brings to mind the old saying "Believe half of what you see and none of what you read."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!
I see know what you are talking about!
That one group (0.88" at 500 yards) would be the MOA shooting equivelent of .176 MOA.
Could be done - but NOT on a regular basis - if done at all with this factory Rifle.
Good advice Just Mike!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Funny you should mention the Savage and the new Marlin hunting rifle in the same post. The Marlin borrowed several Savage features, such as pillar bedding, barrel nut, floating bolt head etc. I wondered why they didn't also borrow the 3 position safety as it is handy in a rifle with blind magazine. About target tests - there are good benchrest shooters and better benchrest shooters and it is a variable that should be taken into account. Many NRA field tests show accuracy results that can often be improved on by a top notch shooter using best handloads. Can't remember which mag, but either American Rifleman or Outdoor life tested the Sako 85 and results were mediocre, even with handloads. Sakos can really shoot. The Marlin looks like
a good rifle for the price. The MV data were shocking for a 24 inch barrel. Those attorneys have done a number on factory loadings.

That is what got my attention was the nut and trigger. Actually, though, the trigger is more like a Glock trigger with the first blade being a release for the trigger itself. It looks like they took the slick looks of the 700 and nice bolt and knob, and threw on the Savage nut, pillars, and blind magazine. Maybe this could be the best of both worlds? I might buy one to keep in the truck if they release it in .204 or .223 Rem.

Back