Airrifles Bell Target's at the Pub

I still hold informal Bell Target matches at my place. I only have one target, but we line up to take turns at it, and its a great sport, being fired into the late night.

A good friend in England tried to find and original for me and couldn't, so he borrowed a really nice old one and had it painstakingly duplicated and gifted to me.
Its truly a wonderful machine, solid iron and steel, with a lollipop-like indicator that pops up when the mechanism is triggered (along with a nice loud bell ring). The trigger is pulled back down to reset after a score.

My one is very much like the one shown as a "cocking target" to the right (of the three pics shown of this type). It works well, but is a bit marginal for hits by low powered guns such as match pistols. The bell ring is very loud, and its a really fun game at six yards with iron sights.

LD, is the 6 yds Offical or just what You Guy's use? Nice Distraction for a bull Session w/Springer's and Iron's......Franky

Six yards is official. There is a great book, called, I think, "Ring my Bell" you can read to get a really nice picture of the game as it was.

Here is some info:

"Ring my Bell: an Old Black Country Sport" by Frank Spittle, from whom copies are available at "Ridegway", Victoria Road, Fallings Park, Wolverhampton, WV10 0NG; £3.95 plus £1 post and packing for UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it! The bell kinda makes it a semi-spectator sport since nobody has to actually watch or for that matter pay any attention at all. When the bell rings everybody just hollers "yay" and keeps on drinkin'.

What an evening one of those matches must have been. A bunch of drunk English in a pub with guns...............perfect!
We renegades on the other hand have taken all the guns out of the pubs and put them on the street where we now shoot at passing cars. We have come far.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is most wonderful history............thank you for bringing it to our attention...................if they could only talk

I wonder if any metals won are in existance?

Back