Airline travel

C

cadillacjack

Does anyone know how many boxes or .22 rimfire ammo can be taken in luggage when traveling? Thank-you Fred

It varies by airline.
I know that on Alaska Airlines your are allowed up to 50 lbs (that would let you check a case of 22 LR). of small arms ammunition as checked baggage. On Northwest (as of a year ago or so) the limit was 12 lbs (or about two bricks). You'll have to go to the Airline's website and check under prohibited and limited checked items. I'd suggest that you print out the info from the web site so you can show it to whoever is checking your bags. Also, here is the TSA web page that states that they allow ammo as checked luggage as long as the airline permits it:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#6

Good Luck
Jim

I FLEW CONTINENTAL AND NORTHWEST LAST YEAR AND YOU ARE ALLOWED 20 CARTITAGES..I TOOK MY RIMFIRE AMMO BOXES AND TAPE THEM ALL TOGETHER 14 OF THEM AND CHECK THEM IN IN LUGGAGE AWAY FROM GUN CASES . HAD NO PROBLEMS FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS DOING IT LIKE THAT....I WOULD CALL THE AIRLINE OF YOUR CHOICE AND SEE IF RULES HAVE CHANGED......HOPE DIS HELPS...:cool:

Thanks Scotty

I checked with the airline and they told me the same thing. Fred

Does anyone know how many boxes or .22 rimfire ammo can be taken in luggage when traveling? Thank-you Fred

Make sure the airline you book through is actually flying the plane. You could book on Delta, for example, and end up on an east coast commuter with a different restriction.

Mark

Back