Ahrens Tuner Weight Kit is in the Classifieds

Retrofit Older Tuners?

Is it possible or worth it to have an older Harrels/Hoehn tuner retrofitted to accept these weights? Or is best to just bite the bullet and get a new tuner?
Thanks
Jim

Hello Jim,

I have done that in the past to the old style tuners and what I charged to do it was well under what I needed to even break even. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to just get a new tuner.

Best,

Roger

Friend Big Macky

Friend Big Macky:

I feel I must respond to your post....

I left centerfire work years ago to come to rimfire because accuracy development is so very progressive here. If one gets away from rimfire accuracy development for a month, they're lost when they return, it's developing so fast. This is why I love it.

My dear "short range" centerfire friends are still, at this late date, trying to determine if tuners actually work. They are awesome folks, I love them so much, as I was at one time, one of them.

I applaud this timely development.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Thanks Bill .....

All of your talk about tuners was certainly the mother of the "invention". You got me wanting to play on my own to see what I could see about these tuner things. I played a little with adding weights to a tuner and trying to measure the resultant vector. I knew that I wanted to increment the weight of the tuner by 1/3 to 1/2 ounce ... cause that would allow me to go through an endless "adjustment cycle" from 0 to 500 each time I added another weight .... but I didn't have the machinist skills to pull it off. My design was really primitive .... not sure if it would have worked or not, but it sure was ugly.

I talked with Roger Von Ahrens about what I was trying to do, and even a little of how I thought it could be accomplished. It didn't take Roger long ... I'd say an hour or so, to come up with one of the neatest Tuner "TUNERS" that I have ever seen.

So as much as I say thanks ... I thank Roger. He pulled it off. I honestly think that having the ability to go from a 9 ounce tuner to 20.5 ounce tuner in an endless tuner adjustment, not missing a single sweet spot, is an accomplishment that will show it's value in a very short time.

Fred

Hey Brian,

Roger is a real picky machinist. When I got his prototype I thought it looked great ... Roger's comment was that it was "rough finished" .... :cool:

I'm real glad that his Weight Kit has been so well received. I personally think Roger is a great guy ... and I'm glad to be able to call him my friend.

Fred

Roger is a great guy, and if you have seen anything he has built, it is a reflection of who he is.

Hey Brian,

Roger is a real picky machinist. When I got his prototype I thought it looked great ... Roger's comment was that it was "rough finished" .... :cool:

I'm real glad that his Weight Kit has been so well received. I personally think Roger is a great guy ... and I'm glad to be able to call him my friend.

Fred

Butch Hongisto is building a rifle for me at the moment, this is defiantly going to be one of the "add-ons" (trying to give Mr. Harvey & friends a run for their money) ;)

Back