advice for a new F class shooter

gene so

Hello,

I'm thinking of competing in F class shoots at Raton, two hours north of me. I have a Hall actioned switchbarrel rifle with a nearly unused 6.5 x 284 barrel, and a stock meant for LRBR that would seem to be able to translate to "F" class and I have heavy, stable front and rear rests.

I note my complete rifle weighs 16 pounds and F class weapons weigh 18.8, I believe. I also note people have moved on from the 6.5 x 284 and now use the .284 of which I already have dies, brass and a lot of bullets for.

With all this in mind, what specs would you suggest for my new .284 barrel? My present 6.5 x 284 barrel is 27 inches long with a .900 muzzle diameter. I must admit a patient of mine painted the stock and I would not want to wreck that paint job by removing material for new barrel clearances, unless absolutely necessary.

Anything else you wish to share with me about learning to shoot those long strings of shots accurately at these long ranges, would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks,
GeneSo

With the 6.5/284 or the .284 win you would have to shoot in F-Open class which has a 10kg/22 lb limit. The 18.18 lb limit is for the F/TR class which is limited to .308 Win or .223 Rem calibers.

So you are good to go as is. I would try the 6.5/284 first as is before investing in a new barrel or rifle. Most FO barrels run 29-32” length and the majority are 1.25 straight cylinder or near so. Contact me if you need more info.

I would agree with Larry
Jump in and shoot what ya got. Until you do a bunch of shooting and learning a caliber change isn't going to mean anything to you

Back