Advantage to fixed power scope?

MightyMouse

I did a search and looked thru the archive on fixed vs adjustable magnification, other than fixed power being lighter weight than variable power it's not clear to me what the advantage or disadvantage between the two is?

Thanks,
Tony

I don't know the answer but have another question. If you were shooting the same distance, as we often do when target shooting, why would you buy a variable scope? More parts that move equal a greater chance for something to goof up. Folks have been known to glue a scope solid and use adjustable mounts...just to keep the scope from "wandering".

I know of and use 1 variable scope that will stay put through it's somewhat limited adjustment range but it takes a bit of getting use to. March 36-55 EPZ ( Eye Piece Zoom ). It is much like the fixed 50 except the eye piece alone zooms the power.

Regards
Rick

I was looking at the offerings from different manufactures most of which are out of my price range anyway, but I noticed Leupold, March, Nightforce, & Sightron, offer very few fixed options even in their benchrest categories. So fixed power for less chance of inconsistency after making a adjustment.

Thanks,
Tony

That was my point. And the general reduced complexity which "should" reduce the chance of something malfunctioning. In the classifieds here, you'll note quite a few "locked down" fixed powers for sale.

I have one expensive variable, a Nightforce 12-42x56. I have a Leupold 45X with a dot and a bunch of 36's, including B&L, Sightron and Weaver. The Leupold is my favorite - a real gem. I would be just as happy if the Nightforce was a fixed 42.

In my opinion, the only advantage of a variable in benchrest or F-class is to reduce the appearance of mirage. You're not really reducing the mirage, though, just the appearance of it.

Another advantage to fixed power is that it is less expensive to make a fixed power scope than a variable of equal quality.

I own several of each type. Once you get to a decent quality level, I have never had a variable that would not hold it's zero. I would pick whichever type fits my style of shooting and budget. For benchrest, I personally prefer a fixed power with very fine crosshair and 1/8 minute (or smaller) dot. For shooting multiple-range events, I often like a holdover-style reticle and variable power.

I own a number of Fixed Power Scopes, mainly for making weight. BUT I like to use as much magnification as possible, but when the mirage is bad, I crank my variables down, many times below the magnification of my fixed power scopes. When my eyes are tired, I like the lower power settings also.

Bob

So the used benchrest rifle I purchased came with a Leupold 24X that dated back to 1994, you could see a white ring around the lens when looking thru it so I sent it in to Leupold for warranty repair, they told me the reticle has been modified by Premier Reticle and that they cannot perform any repairs on it since it has a aftermarket lens epoxied to it.

My options are take it as is or they will do 60% off for a different scope which is amazing warranty coverage, I can't believe how they stand behind their product.

Unless there is some reason I should keep this Premier Reticle/Leupold 24X I'm probably going to take the 60% off on a 45X.

Back