Action Wrench for Cooper M52?

flatlander

Anyone here ever had to change a bbl on a Cooper M52? Smaller than a M700, and I'm not sure how it compares to other actions that Brownells makes wrench tops for. Appreciate any tips, 'specially since this is a 3-lug action.

Jeez - you guys are loads of help. Was in a heckuva hurry when I posted the question this morning, but still should've mentioned that the Cooper action measures 1.300" OD. That jangle anyone's memory as to another action with the same OD?

Guess I could always contact Cooper - who knows? - they might have at least as good a sense of humor as the guys here....

I was serious. Have you never used a wrench that grabs the outside? Brownells sells em. They work very well.

Jeez - you guys are loads of help. Was in a heckuva hurry when I posted the question this morning, but still should've mentioned that the Cooper action measures 1.300" OD. That jangle anyone's memory as to another action with the same OD?

Guess I could always contact Cooper - who knows? - they might have at least as good a sense of humor as the guys here....

I just did one last week, had the same dilemna. I used my Mauser wrench and made an aluminum bushing to adjust for the size smaller action. Mine is an outside wrench.

(where's the spellcheck)

Flatlander,

If you have an action wrench for a 700 that grabs the O.D., you could probably use some shim stock to make it work on the Cooper. Remingtons are around 1.360 or so on the O.D., so you'd have to shim up about .060. Degrease everything thoroughly and don't spare the rosin, and I think it would work fine.

Justin

A late, lamented local shop had some nice wrenches. They had large, round blanks, with integral handle stubs, forged in one piece. They then bored them to suit, cut a slit, and put in double clamp bolts. The Remington version had a means to hold the lug attached. They told me they were tired of breaking wrenches... I wonder who has those wrenches.
F1

Well, rather than screw-up a very nice rifle, I sent it back with the customer with the explanation that I didn't have an appropriate action wrench to fit his M52. It had a fluted bbl in 25-06 that he wanted threaded for a suppressor, and I also felt the bbl was too light a contour to leave a large enough shoulder to mount his brake/mount against. Thanks for the help, all the same. Never had one guy bring me more off-the-wall stuff to do at one time....

Can't remember who but there was someone making action wrenches for different actions and one of the actions was the Cooper, I think he advertised over on 6mmBr.com.

He did other things as well, Davidson style barrel vises, case forming dies etc..........Ian

Can't remember who but there was someone making action wrenches for different actions and one of the actions was the Cooper, I think he advertised over on 6mmBr.com.

He did other things as well, Davidson style barrel vises, case forming dies etc..........Ian

Sounds like Paul Becigneul.

Back