accurizing my savage! what barrel?????

C

chad stenger

i have a savage 111 30-06 long action and i am looking at hart and shilen barrels i do not have a prefrance of either. just wondering which is better for the price also what twist rate should i go with if i shoot 150 grain. or what should i shoot if i want the most accuracy i do not see any problem with 150 grain. just would like to shoot further and more accurate. right now with a stock savage, the only thing that i have done to it is i personaly brought the trigger down below a pound, and with that i shoot 1 1/2 in groups at 200yrds with store bought ammo. at 100yrds i put the shoots on top of each other every time. what can i do to bring this out to about 400-500 yrds
Edit/Delete Message

Savage stuff...

i have a savage 111 30-06 long action and i am looking at hart and shilen barrels i do not have a prefrance of either. just wondering which is better for the price also what twist rate should i go with if i shoot 150 grain. or what should i shoot if i want the most accuracy i do not see any problem with 150 grain. just would like to shoot further and more accurate. right now with a stock savage, the only thing that i have done to it is i personaly brought the trigger down below a pound, and with that i shoot 1 1/2 in groups at 200yrds with store bought ammo. at 100yrds i put the shoots on top of each other every time. what can i do to bring this out to about 400-500 yrds
Edit/Delete Message

As for custom Highend barrels go. Most if not all are VERY capable in the accuracy dept. Don't know if Hart is yet doing the Savage prefit barrels. Shilen is covered up in work. 15 ++ weeks to recieve a prefit Select match.

PacNor is making damn fine tubes! They can get you a Super Stainless match prefit out in 10-12 weeks.

Go with the 10" twist for flexability of heavy bullets out to 220gr in your 30-06...

Check out:

www.savageshooters.com
http://www.pac-nor.com

cale

Edit/Delete Message

Try handloading with some Berger/Lapua/Sierra etc. bullets and a good load of IMR 4350.

If your rifle is capable of this accuracy with factory ammo, the next logical step is to try it with handloads.

what can i do to bring this out to about 400-500 yrds

Handload and tune your load for 400-500 yards. If you really want a new barrel get one that's a couple inches longer. I've always had good luck with Pac-Nor, Shilen, and Douglas.

I've got Pac Nors and Lothar Wathers. Since the LW's have harder steel, I'd go with that one. LW makes a lot of barrels for other manufacturers and special orders around the world. Nothing against Pac Nor either.

I've had no experience with the high quality tubes, but I've owned a lot of '06s with 1-10 factory barrels and they all shot better with 165 gr. bullets (flat base) than with 150s or 180s. You'll probably want match bullets for your new tube and the barrel maker can recommend barrel twist based on what bullet you decide to use.

yeah

i have also heard that 165 grain was a better shooting bullet thank you

Work on the Stock First

I have a Savage Model 16 with a few barrels. My 1-14 Kroger 6 BR with and 4 oz trigger and a Leupold 36X scope never shot as good as I had expected until I worked on the stock. If you do not have a stock equal to benchrest standards it is near impossible to get below 0.375 groups.

I fitted a hardwood block 1” X 3” X6” to my forearm and am shooting with my Benchrest table equipment. With this block added the groups have gone down the Benchrest precisions. In the heavy wind this rifle is equal or better than my Panda 6 PPC. I think it will agg under 0.20 if I do my part. It loves the wind.

As I do not know how to post a picture here e mail me if you want to see what it looks like.

High end barrels, What you listed sounded like prefits...

You get what you pay for. Look at what is winning matches in different classes. Get your action/bolt timed and trued, get yourself a custom barrel done by a quality smith and you will be much happier.
Rustystud

thank you

i think what i am going to do is start out with reloading and then get a barrel i have already bought a sharpshooters tactical stock and that was my main consern was because the original stock is so flimsy i am happy with the barrel for now. thank you guys for all of your input it reall help a newby.

Has anyone done any recent price checking on match grade prethreaded Savage barrels, and willing to share their recommendations on which manufacturers barrel they think is the best deal? Price vs hoped for accuracy?

We had three barrels made by Kriger in 03. At their advise we used shoulder rather than the nut. It was good advise as we can switch barrels without taking scope off or taking receiver out of the stock.

Accuracy with these barrels has been excellent.

Back