Accurazing my Anschutz, need some advice.

10ring1

I just got a 1710 DKL and I am looking into wringing every bit of accuracy from it I can. I don't shoot any special competitions. I was hoping for a super accurate mid weight sporter. I can see myself getting into silohette shooting someday and also maybe midweight bench shooting. What steps do you guys recommend I take to get there? I was thinking about a Lilja barrel. Should I have it threaded or is the pinning process enough? Also, what other upgrades can you guys recommend? I was also thinking tuner after the rebarrel. Can you guys recommend a gunsmith?, I have seen some names on this site, just wondering what experiences you guys have had. Any input or advice from others who have done the same or similar would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dave

Anschutz

What kind of accuracy are you getting now and what ammo have you tested?

My 1712's (4 of them) all shoot under 1" at 100 meters and one hole at 40 meters with the right ammo - we shoot silhouette with them.

My experience with Anschutz is that too many guys are rebarrelling when they should stay with the factory barrels. If the ITCH is just too great to resist, I know a gunsmith that has a number if 54:18 brand new tack-off barrels.

George

Don't

waste money on rebarreling a new 1710. Spend the money on different ammo speeds and types and practice. It is more than probable that the rifle, out-of-the-box with ammo it likes, will exceed your ability to shoot it accurately. It isn't a benchrest rifle with the current stock but can be a very accurate sporter class weapon. Shoot it a year or two and learn what it likes. Time spent at the range, particularly with other shooters will be a huge help. If you intend to shoot benchrest, have to spend some money right now and need a rifle, I'd buy a Cooper TRP3, Hoehn tuner and Jard trigger before working over a nice Annie. You'll have a very good BR rifle (and a new one that you can make your own mistakes with) and a sporter. Just my $0.02. Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
schillen anne stith br stock

Just Got My Gun Finished. Shot First Match Without Tunner
First 50 Rounds Shot High 230 In 50/50 Shooting Ely Club.
I Had About 10 Missfires. Any Body Got Any Ideas. Second
Try It Fires.
boer.bok5@verizon.net

Ignition problem

I've shot almost 2500 rounds of Eley Club, and have had Zero misfires. Sounds like you have either a trigger or HS problem.

Just a thought , might try tearing the bolt down and cleaning it out. There might be grease or rust preventitive inside causing a slow pin or even a burr or some type of crud . Trigger should be degreased as well Might want to look at the bolt face and breach face for any possible crud there also ( don't forget to cleanout the extrator slots). Unless there are thousands of rounds or a major screw up the head space should be ok, but doesn't hurt to check that also. There have been occasions with a well worn gun that the firing pin spring becomes weak. Another possibility on a well used gun is the firing pin spring has worn grooves on the firing pin ( almost inperceptable) and on the inside of the bolt body causing the spring to hang up ( takes some fanagling to see those). I have run into a few of these over the years.

Firing Pin Spring For Annie

Need Spring For 54 Annie Fireing Pin

Back