Accurate 2230 in 6PPC???

JerrySharrett

Senile Member
I have a jug of AA2230 and am looking for something to burn in a 6PPC just to see??

Isn't it supposed to have about the same performance characteristics as H355.

I have load data which looks like the 30g range for average.

Jerry,

I have it from the importer that it is the same exact powder as Xterminator. I have shot it enough to know that it can be accurate, is the velocity seekers friend, and that it burns fairly cleanly. I tried it because a friend told me that he and a shooting buddy who had tried a number of powders in their PPCs and upon later review of the groups that they had shot over time, were surprised to learn that the winner was Xterminator. I normally do a one shot per charge investigation at about a .3 grain interval, up to the point where the bolt gets snug. If you do this over a chronograph, on the same target, starting at 29 gr. I think that you will quickly find a load and be pleased by the velocity that is possible. The powder is produced in Belgium, and the supply has been pinched for a while because of a fire, but recently I have seen some for sale from one source.

Last edited:
it is as close to what is used in mil 5.56 as possible.

Don't know about ppc

I have a jug of AA2230 and am looking for something to burn in a 6PPC just to see??

Isn't it supposed to have about the same performance characteristics as H355.

I have load data which looks like the 30g range for average.

Jerry don't remember shooting AA 2230 in PPC but in 223 335 shot great, but 2230 would not (maybe particular rifle) AA 2230 outperformed H335 in the .222 and the .222 Mag.. I also remember shooting some AA2230 in my 22 Lapua.. Shot one hole groups but not as good as Rel 10x v133 and T32

Jerry
correct me if I am wrong here. Didn't you say something about Benchmark powder a short while back? Maybe along the lines of the new Benchmark being a little better than the older benchmark???? I seem to remember you saying something about it anyway. Lee

Several years ago I was at the local range where we have IBS score shoots. My mentor was there ( he practically lived there: let's just say he shot ALOT). I was setting up when he popped out of his loading van and handed me a jug of AA-2230...muttering "here take this...I'm done with that godawful powder....I can't get consistent results from the stuff". Some notes i have written on the jug: Doesn't like any heat, 47 clicks to FF 220 Russian, 48.0- 50.0 clicks for PPC. I tried it in my sons 6 BR and it shoots them in a small hole.....but only when temps are on the cool side.

Jerry
correct me if I am wrong here. Didn't you say something about Benchmark powder a short while back? Maybe along the lines of the new Benchmark being a little better than the older benchmark???? I seem to remember you saying something about it anyway. Lee

When Benchmark was first imported by Hodgdon, about 10-15 years ago, Bob Graf got some of the first and I tried it. That may be where I got this jug of AA2230? I shot some of this in a 6-40 PPC and set it back.

I'm gonna burn some again to refresh my memory. Can't find it in my notes. Had some 2230C. It was pull down. Anyhoo!

c would be slower than 2230

When Benchmark was first imported by Hodgdon, about 10-15 years ago, Bob Graf got some of the first and I tried it. That may be where I got this jug of AA2230? I shot some of this in a 6-40 PPC and set it back.

I'm gonna burn some again to refresh my memory. Can't find it in my notes. Had some 2230C. It was pull down. Anyhoo!

2230- c

Ramshot customer service replied to my question on load data for the C which is no longer listed. They said to use their current data for 2460. I have had good results in 222, 223, 6X47(222 mag), 6PPC, and 250 Savage.

Dennis

Back