Accuracy versus barrel length

.25shooter

At one time there was this myth going on that the exact length of 21 and 3/4 of an ich was the "correct" length of a benchrest barrel and the most accurate one. Has anyone opinion of this ? I have shot many different lengths of barrel in a 6PPC from 20-26 inches and think that the difference in lengt per se (within reason of course) does not determin the accuracy of the barrel. I think the reason for this myth is that to make weight (at that time at least) one could hardly use longer barrels of the maximum diameter allowed in LV. If this is the case wouldnt it make sence to start out at 26 inches and rechamber at 23 and then again at 20 inch length ? Or does rechambering even if one can chop off 3 inches not give next to "new" barrel ?

Barrel length raises hell with balance and I was also told once that
the odds of having a good barrel in 21'' is better than 26"
Just food for thought

Well,

Some people do shoot 24-26 inch barrels on their HV guns, Ed Watson used to do it all the time and shoot very well. But he also had the gun properly balanced. Balance is more important than a long barrel but if you can have both...it's ok. Also, rechambering a barrel can add competitive life (it can also not help) but it will never make the barrel new again and it will normally change the tune.

Hovis

Comment fwiw

26" barrel Shoot better scores and postals for me

But for group shooting cause more muzzle flip

For groups 17.25"

Dual Purpose 22"

Shorter barrel the less shot deflection due to shooter movement.

Long range 28-30" must counter balance to alleviate muzzle flip so the gun track good horizontally in the bags.

Back