A friend- airguns- and questions

G

garrisone

I have a friend who is thinking about getting into shooting air gun in his back yard . One question is he needs to know if he can legally shoot in his back yard and in his neighborhood. He plans to build a target board with an 1/8 inch steel backer that will be slanted at an angle to make sure the pellets go into sand or water to keep it from flying out un safe. Is there any place he can go to read about what he needs to know in order to be able to enjoy his new sport? Is there a best spring operated air gun to buy ? Any help would be appreciated. garrisone.

Garrisone,
He'll have to check local laws to see if he can shoot in his back yard. Up until last year air rifles were unregulated here in NY but they've changed that now so that the regs for shooting an air rifle are the same for shooting a firearm. How much does your friend want to spend on a Springer? There is a wide range, from $99 Walmart offerings to top of the line rifles like the AA TX200 and Diana 54 for $600+. As with anything else, you get what you pay for! If he's going to shoot BR in his back yard, the D-54 would be a good choice as it's "recoilless" and a side lever. The best place I know of for info on Springers (or most other things air rifle related other than BR) is the Yellowforum.com. Hope this helps,
Todd

Can’t help you with local gun laws, but regards “Is there a best spring operated air gun to buy ?” either as Todd has said the AA TX200 or my personal springer weapon of choice the AA Pro Sport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSaqT4_39M

Your friend won’t go wrong with either.

Sorry must dash, I'm wondering which film to download :rolleyes:

Brian

reply:

Garrisone,
He'll have to check local laws to see if he can shoot in his back yard. Up until last year air rifles were unregulated here in NY but they've changed that now so that the regs for shooting an air rifle are the same for shooting a firearm. How much does your friend want to spend on a Springer? There is a wide range, from $99 Walmart offerings to top of the line rifles like the AA TX200 and Diana 54 for $600+. As with anything else, you get what you pay for! If he's going to shoot BR in his back yard, the D-54 would be a good choice as it's "recoilless" and a side lever. The best place I know of for info on Springers (or most other things air rifle related other than BR) is the Yellowforum.com. Hope this helps,
Todd

Todd : Thanks for the reply. If he can't shoot in his back yard he can shoot in mine or we could go to the Gun Club i belong to. He will figure it out. garrisone.

With a little planning it would be hard to get caught shooting an air rifle - just sayin'. That said, my brother in law had to replace a few pieces of siding on the neighbors house where the pellets went through the bird feeder. The neighbor didn't really care much as it is a common effort to control squirrels that eat their houses apart. Everybody there has an air rifle.....and the bird feeders now have metal backing.

I want an air gun

With a little planning it would be hard to get caught shooting an air rifle - just sayin'. That said, my brother in law had to replace a few pieces of siding on the neighbors house where the pellets went through the bird feeder. The neighbor didn't really care much as it is a common effort to control squirrels that eat their houses apart. Everybody there has an air rifle.....and the bird feeders now have metal backing.

Wilbur : I have a Gamo -177 pellet rifle that I need to buy a new stock for . A couple of years ago when I first got the Gamo-springer I shot 79 squirrels and gave them to an old man who loves to eat them. I am wanting to get one of those ppb rifle that you fill up with a compressor I want to shoot squirrels out to 50 yards. I think there are some rifles out there I could shoot that far or maybe farther. What is this type of air rifle going to cost me? Thanks for any help from anyone. garrisone.

Here's the one you want-.25 HM1000 from Rapid Air Weapons! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fv-w7Hlvco ! I would have tried for the fly on the bottom of the target, myself:cool: Seriously, the HM1000 is mouse fart quiet and a high quality rifle based on the TM-1000 and BM-500 that many of us are using for Benchrest. The folks at RAW are top notch, best I've ever dealt with. FX makes some nice hunting rifles, too and if you've got really deep pockets, you could take a look at the Styer LG110 Hunting rifle.
Todd

I am with Wilber

I live in gaited community with a bunch of left wingers but decided I seriously needed a tube to tune in.............so I built one.

The questions came by the dozen about this 18 inch 25 meter tube setting above ground on 2 inch PVC pipe emerging from my storage building.
In about a month or so the local community newsletter included a story about a fellar that just put in an experimental 25 meter Swedish Smoker............works great!

Frank Tirrell

I have a friend who is thinking about getting into shooting air gun in his back yard . One question is he needs to know if he can legally shoot in his back yard and in his neighborhood. He plans to build a target board with an 1/8 inch steel backer that will be slanted at an angle to make sure the pellets go into sand or water to keep it from flying out un safe. Is there any place he can go to read about what he needs to know in order to be able to enjoy his new sport? Is there a best spring operated air gun to buy ? Any help would be appreciated. garrisone.

If you are in the US, the answer is yes...We are being flooded with laws that compromise shooting around many places...

Two years ago I visited a friend in California for later shooting some FT and while waiting for him at his place, I set my metal target stop and shot a few pellets out of a PCP rifle. The metal target holder was against a concrete wall that leads to his garage...Well, someone called the cops...

I talked to them and they were very nice and polite and just let me know that not even air gun shooting was allowed in the open in that area, but I could do it in a basement. I apologized...

While taking about guns and other those cops mentioned that some areas even required a permit for shooting indoors...Both of them disagreed with the trend and one made a comment: "We are no liberals by any means but this is the law and our job...we either enforce it or get another job"

By comparison, where I live in MT I can shoot centerfire on my backyard (I don't) and on my other place in my home town in TX we can shoot .22 RF and air guns assuming that we have the appropriate safe conditions/set-up.

I will think that calling your local police department will give you an indication of how hot is the water...

Regards,

azuaro

Back